In case you haven't looked at the weather: Here comes Richard!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Electricity was NOT out across the country. A few isolated areas might have lost power when overhead lines were damaged, but that's it. Where do these reports come from?

I can't speak for other areas, but Ambergris Caye escaped almost scot-free. There will have been some damage to docks and more beach erosion, but I'll be extremely surprised to hear of anything worse. We had worse a few weeks ago.

I don't expect Caye Caulker to have fared much worse, as it's only 15 miles to the south. But I'll leave it for someone from there to report. I'd really like Hank to write here though, as he lives south of Belize City in the area that Richard made landfall.

Electricity was NOT out across the country. A few isolated areas might have lost power when overhead lines were damaged, but that's it. Where do these reports come from?

I can't speak for other areas, but Ambergris Caye escaped almost scot-free. There will have been some damage to docks and more beach erosion, but I'll be extremely surprised to hear of anything worse. We had worse a few weeks ago.

I don't expect Caye Caulker to have fared much worse, as it's only 15 miles to the south. But I'll leave it for someone from there to report. I'd really like Hank to write here though, as he lives south of Belize City in the area that Richard made landfall.
The false electricity out report came from here Video: Hurricane Richard hits Belize, power down - UPI.com

Glad to hear that San Pedro is ok. Hope Hank is back with us soon.

Peter,

Most of the weather related news articles got it wrong as many of them picked up on that incorrect fact (power outage) and ran with it...BIG sirprise there :wink:

Glad to hear Ambergris Caye didn't get clobbered, and hopefully the mainland areas that did get hit are not in too bad shape and can recover quickly.

I am curious about the wave action during the storm. Did she kick up a lot, and do you think there will be some residual reef damage?

The last trip Judy and I did was to Curacao and that was a two months after Omar has his way with the island. even though we came through two months later, there was still a lot of lingering sand and a lot of broken and damaged soft coral. Hopefully it there's not a lot of that kind of damage in your neck of the woods..

There'll undoubtedly be some reef damage, but mainly in the shallow areas that always get hit and never really recover. The deeper parts should be unaffected. Dean managed to move a massive concrete block used as an anchor for cruise ship moorings and tilt it over at 25 degrees - at 50ft down. But that's most unusual.

Hope Hank's ok. It will be interesting to hear from him.

Dean managed to move a massive concrete block used as an anchor for cruise ship moorings and tilt it over at 25 degrees - at 50ft down. But that's most unusual.
Didn't hear about that? Where was this...?

TrickyDick is down to 35 mph, gusting to 45 now - same as here.

Last edited:
Don - it's in the large sandy area alongside the base of the buoy for Tuffey dive site.

I've now heard from Caye Caulker and it seems they fared about the same as Ambergris Caye - pretty well unscathed. But the mainland did apparently get a fair amount of damage, and by far the best person to report on that is Hank.

Don - it's in the large sandy area alongside the base of the buoy for Tuffey dive site.

I've now heard from Caye Caulker and it seems they fared about the same as Ambergris Caye - pretty well unscathed. But the mainland did apparently get a fair amount of damage, and by far the best person to report on that is Hank.
I knew that Dean veered south of Cozumel after expecting a hit, I left two days prior, but I hadn't realized that he caused damages in Belize. :confused: A Wiki article explains there was $97 million. The Tuffey dive site is near San Pedro right?

Any news on Turneffe Island atoll?

Tuffey is the closest dive site to San Pedro - right outside the main cut. No idea about Turneffe.

There has been extensive damage to the Radisson dock and the Princess dock.Power is out all over the city and in many parts inland. We were spared up here and dodged a bullet. I have not heard about Turneffe but fear that they will have suffered.

Back
Top Bottom