Improving air use in currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makes total sense, Ray. I'd offer one addendum however, which is that focusing on your breathing is a well-known meditation/centering technique which reduces nervous system activation and therefore, demand from the muscles. Used that way, it is certainly a way to reduce consumption.

Makes total sense, Ray. I'd offer one addendum however, which is that focusing on your breathing is a well-known meditation/centering technique which reduces nervous system activation and therefore, demand from the muscles. Used that way, it is certainly a way to reduce consumption.

There's a million things that will work for some people. I was trying to keep things simple for the widest range of divers and, as indicated, highlight strategies that "any and every diver can employ." Therefor avoiding adding things like "Don't focus on your breathing... unless you can do it in a meditation/centering sort of way, in which case you SHOULD focus on your breathing."

:d

That said, in my mind, what you're suggesting is more properly a part of "If there is a problem causing you to breathe abnormally, fix the problem" as an appropriate way to "fix the problem."

Best way? Buy a DPV :)

You do really expect studies in peer-reviewed paper for every obvious thing.. do you?

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise that smokers consuming less air on a dive was so universally true that it had become obvious. On that basis I shall take up cigarettes immediately!

Best way? Buy a DPV :)

I was thinking rebreather...

Or a rebreather AND a scooter!

I was thinking rebreather...

Or a rebreather AND a scooter!

I consider a DPV the best safety device you can buy for a CCR. The odds of my overbreathing my revo's scrubbers so long as my Genesis is working are approximately 0%. Ditto for potential channeling and some other issues.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise that smokers consuming less air on a dive was so universally true that it had become obvious. On that basis I shall take up cigarettes immediately!

No, obvious part was that smoking doesn't drastically change the air consumption. If the diver was very well trained, then he will still have few years of smoking before he will feel some adverse effect. I don't think any scientist would sit and write an article trying to prove that smoking has an immediate adverse effect. That's just obvious that it doesn't, it takes time. For some people it could be months, for others - years. So during that period, yes it is possible to see a smoker diver who has very low SAC rate.

I'm wondering what would be most effective ways to improve my air use in currents?

By way of background, I'm a fairly novice diver, with only 40 dives. My air use in normal conditions tends to be very good. Diving a regular 12L tank, I usually come back with close to half a tank at the end of permitted dive duration or when at least one person in the same dive group is down to 50 bar. This is probably due to being very small rather than any particular achievement of mine. I also seem to be able to breathe very slowly and deeply underwater. I am not superfit and because of my size I struggle with the size and weight of a 12L tank, especially on entries and exits.

On a liveaboard I did earlier this year I was given a 10L tank, which made dealing with gear much more pleasant. I was still coming back with more air than others, except the instructor, and was enjoying the dives much more. Recently, I was diving on 8L tanks on reasonably shallow dives (<20m) and was coming back with just a little less air than most others on 12L tanks and a little more than some. I was much more comfortable both in and out of the water and less tired after the dives.

Because my diving experience is so much more pleasant with the small tanks, I'd like to use smaller tanks in the future when they are available, however I am worried about limiting the group's bottom time if I am the first to get to the turn around air point. In normal conditions it doesn't seem to be an issue, but as soon as there is a current, my air use goes up pretty dramatically. I don't know that it goes up more than others, but if I'm on a smaller tank, I'll be burning through air pretty quickly.

So I'm hoping for a way to improve air use in currents to minimise these issues. Are there any exercises that I can do? I've been trying to do more fast/power walking (my knees don't seem to like running) but am not sure whether it is the right thing. I can't figure out whether it is a matter of leg muscle strength or aerobic fitness or something else? I'd be grateful for any ideas.

(All help appreciated, but please don't say "don't dive in a guided group", I know it is a possibility for the future, but I'm not confident enough yet!). :)

Just a question. But what currents? Where? For example I dive the St Lawrence seaway alot. I crawl on the bottom never use my legs. Very stron currents.

Back
Top Bottom