Improve your diving this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sillygrendel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay... So I'm sitting at home today unable to dive and a bit fidgety to get in the water :)

Since I can't quite afford to go to VA beach next weekend I have another idea...

Who all out there is interested in spending a weekend practicing and (hopefully) improving their diving skills??

I was thinking we could pick a quarry (PA or VA works for me -- Millbrook, Rawlings, Bainbridge, etc...)

Spend two days out diving concentrating on various skills. Bouyancy, trim, weigting, propulsion techniques, navigation, shooting lift bags, etc...

Basically -- anything you'd like to practice!

Or if you just want to watch me flounder around in the water... Which could be an amusing experience in itself :eek:ut:

Matt

(Okay... So a lot of weekends at the quarry are like that to some degree but...)

Matt, this is a great idea. It wasn't until you said "videographer" that I understood what you meant.
>Get a handful of people together, split the cost of a rental UW video camera.
>Develop a list of skills to demonstrate underwater: finning, attitude in the water, buoyancy, etc.
>Have each person do the skills on camera.
>After diving, have the entire crew retire to a cooperative sports bar, and critique everybody's technique. (Be fair and honest!)
>Next day, everyone has a list of techniques to work on, and maybe a buddy who needs to work on that same technique.

Excellent idea!

Right now it just looks like you and I... We could plan it for another weekend if more people would be interested...

But I think it would be very cool!

Depending on the weekend you choose, you know I am in. I may be able to talk to a buddy of mine and borrow an underwater video camera for the trip instead of renting. Divernva knows him too, so if I can't make it maybe he can borrow it and make the trip.

Millbrook was pretty deserted Sat. morning...Dave, Tim, and I had a couple of pretty good dives and I had a chance to get the double 72s wet. Temps above the thermocline were around 65.

Good idea. Most weekends that I can't get out to do some serious diving will find me at a quarry, practicing for "game day".

If you can only get in the ocean once a month or less (due to money, weather or whatever), you will never stay on the top of your game. Consequently you will find that something with your gear or your technique goes wrong every time you dive. You will find that you are uncomfortable for the first dive of the day, but seem to do much better the second dive. By utilizing protected water where you can have 2-4 dive outings a month (2 to 3 dives per outing), when you get to "game day" you will feel confident and perform well AND be in full compliance with rule 6.

Important thig is to do what you said, practice skills, as opposed to touring the same old sunken bus, boat, car, or motorcycle. Think about how many S-drills or valve drills you can do in an hour while working on your bouyancy and trim at the same time. Video is good for the fine points but you will pretty well know how you did in each exercise without it.

Dave D

PS - Eric, there goes my 12 step program!

PS - Eric, there goes my 12 step program!
You gave in! I warned you...this place will kill your free time almost as bad as that diving habit.

Dave,

Do you think Millbrook is going to be diveable this weekend? I haven't got a drysuit and 38 air temp is pretty chilly between dives...

....forecast isn't looking good for va beach this weekend..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom