Imperial info wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve2056

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone in the US please help me out with some info on diving using imperial units?

I have written some simple dive utility programs which use the metric system i.e. bar, kilogrammes and metres and am updating these programs to include imperial units pounds, psig, feet etc.

I need to know some basic figures that you guys use:

1. In the metric system we would normally start a dive with a cylinder pressure of around 200 - 230 bar. What would be a typical pressure for a normal fill in the imperial system? 3000 psig?

2. What pressure do you normally plan for your safety stop or dive end? 500psig - 700psig? Here we typically plan for around 50 bar.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

You're "spot on", Old Boy.

Use 500 psi.

the K

200 bar roughly = 3000 PSI, and 50 bar roughly = 750 PSI.

This website is a Godsend for difficult calculations using pressure, volume and length:

Unit Converter - Digital Dutch Unit Converter

Also, on volumes, remember that metric cylinders are usually referred to by their empty volume (eg. 13 litres) and Imperial cylinders (eg. 80 cubic feet) are referred to by volume of gas at normal working pressure (ignoring for the moment weird rules about 10% overfills for steel tanks etc.).

Thanks for help guys.

Rhone Man, Thanks for your comments and the useful link. I am aware of the cylinders you use and the way their contents are quoted. It is not the precise conversion figures I need, they are easily calculated, it is what you actually use in everyday diving.

My programs are at: Seahorse Dive Club utilities and, having updated the Nitrox tool I now need to update the Cylinder Buoyancy calculator. This tool is just about ready for release and I just wanted to confirm last minute details. Version 3.0 should be on the above link in the next few days and I would be very grateful for any feedback or crictical comments, especially negative, and for possible improvements.

Cheers,

Steve

The Cylinder Bouyancy Calculator ver 3.0 has now been released and can be downloaded from: Cylinder Bouyancy Calculator ver 3.0 This tool and the Recreational Nitrox Calculator are completely free to use.

I have updated the Cylinder Bouyancy Calculator to include imperial units and I would be grateful for any feedback in using the tool, any errors found or improvements to it. A user guide is included in the download.

Steve

200 bar roughly = 3000 PSI, and 50 bar roughly = 750 PSI.

This website is a Godsend for difficult calculations using pressure, volume and length:

Unit Converter - Digital Dutch Unit Converter

You can also use google search to do all kinds of calculations: pressure, temperature, length, volume, currency conversion. Seems to do a lot of what that website does (i.e. the diving calculations) but you can just type it into google.

You type things like the following into the google search box: '230bar in psi', '50F in C', '100ft in m', '20lb in kg', '100USD in AUD' and so on and the first result will be the answer.

Do you guys in the US ever use the letters "lbs" for pounds?

Steve

We also use the symbol # after a number.

So 500 lbs. and 500# both mean the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom