Images of Sinus infection invading brain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cruisin Home

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Please look at attached picture of MRI images

I thought that since I have read so many posts concerning divers that are mistreating their sinuses and or sufferring from diving related sinus issues that it might be good to see what happens when you rupture a sinus cavity (in this case your frontal : above eye) and the staph, strep, or pneumoccoccus bacteria is allowed to penetrate your brain cavity.

This form of infection is potentially life threatening or permanently disabling.

Same thing could happen to optical cavity.

the bony wall that separates sinus and brain or sinus/eye is sometimes paper thin (<1mm).

Please think about this next time you dive and are having trouble with your sinus. GO EASY!

Please look at Attached picture (credit to AuntMinnie Radiology )

Attachments

• sinus infection enters brain.jpg
    sinus infection enters brain.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 14,395
This form of infection is potentially life threatening or permanently disabling.

Same thing could happen to optical cavity.

the bony wall that separates sinus and brain or sinus/eye is sometimes paper thin (<1mm).

Sometimes a patient will present with a stye, which is usually caused by a clogged gland in the eyelid that leads to an infection. This condition is usually treated quite readily using warm compresses, lid scrubs and Rx antibiotic steroid ointment, however if this is allowed to go untreated, the infection can easily spread to become an "orbital cellulitis" which can be life threatening for the reasons given in the first post on this thread.

I've had two patients with this. Both were left with a lot of disability, as if they had a severe stroke. One was 23 and the other 41.
Sinus infection with forehead pain can be serious! Both patients ignored symptoms of infection for a long time.
I also had a domestic violence case where the woman's nose bone was shoved up into the brain from a punch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom