I'm Ticked Off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1054EDP

Registered
Reaction score
Dear divers,
I just finished purchasing a DIN ISOLATION MANIFOLD on ebay and think i got shafted. this is what the add said-

e bay item #3624244669
Thermo-W Twin Manifold 300 BAR DIN Outlet, 3/4-14 NPSM Inlet, with Center Isolation Valve for 3,500 psi service, FACTORY NITROX ready. Like new with fewer than 20 dives. I used on HP Faber Steel 100s

when i received the manifold, it was in very good condition and it was a din valve as pictured and described,but it clearly states that the operating pressure is 3,000psi. so how is this a 300bar manifold, and how did this person have steel 100s when steel 100s operate on 3500psi. i wrote him and he stated that he would do a slow fill to 3500, and nothing ever went wrong. i think i got a lot of lip service.
do i have to change the burst disk on this iso manifoldto convert to 3500psi?
here's an identical copy of the manifold i bought except for the abysmal logo.

http://www.abysmal.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Val-TDA-3000&Category_Code=VALM

someone please help before i blow my own burst disk!!:upset:

The advertisement clearly stated "300 Bar Din Outlet", if the picture you mentioned in the url you posted is the same, that is exactly what you got.

The 300 Bar Din Outlet part indicates it is designed to RECEIVE the DIN connection from the first stage of a Regulator that is rated to 300 Bar.

Now...if the advertisement stated that the manifold was rated for 3500 psi service and it has 3000 psi burst disk, then something is amiss.

DOT regulations now state that OPDs--Overpressurization Devices--burst disks, must be replaced with disks that are rated to or 10% below the service pressure.

So...if you take the manifold to a "professional" service department, expect them to replace the burst disk accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Chris

I would be wary of anything that I purchased on Ebay as you cannot acutally put your hands on it prior to purchase. If you have a copy of the original page that stated it was 300 bar you can post a complaint to Ebay and force the seller to refund your money. You can also give them a bad review so that others aren't taken in by him/her again. Some of the sellers pick stuff up from garage sales (or wherever) and have never actually dove.

I for one don't advocate buying equipment that my life will depend on from someone I can't personally talk face to face with.

hey covci
i understand what your saying, but there are 200bar din valves, and operate ate 3000psi. how do i know this isnt what i received?

a 200 bar din is shallow and usually used with the combo valves (ie insert that allows yoked first stage to be used) the 300 is deep.

200 bar have a shallow centering cone where the 300 have a pretty good well where the centering cone sits.

Not real technical I know but I don't have alot of time.

Hallmac

The manifold costs $200 new and you paid $100 for it. Even if you have to put new blowout discs in it, you are still ahead.

dear sailor, i know what your saying, but it's the hassle and the principal, behind a honest transaction. no one wants to be taken for a ride or given lip service.

A 300 bar din valve has about twice as much threading as a 200 bar din valce. in other words it will take about twice as many rotations to thread the first stage on a 300 bar as it would a 200 bar.

hope this helps

and post the number here.

That will tell you whether you got a 200 or 300 bar manifold.

As for the burst disks, they are SUPPOSED to be installed with the correct pressure for the TANK on which the valve will be mounted. It is normal to have to change them if you change the intended target tank working pressure.

Putting burst disks rated for a 4350 working pressure (300 bar) on an AL80 tank (3000 psi working pressure) would be asking for the tank to explode. The usual standard that should be applied is for the disk to be rated to blow at the hydro test pressure of the cylinder, +0 / - 10%.

Having a 3000 psi "working pressure" disk on a 3500 psi cylinder, if the disk is rated for a cylinder tested at 5/3rds of working pressure, means that the disk should blow somewhere between 4500 and 5000 psi. If you overfill a 3500 psi cylinder by 1000 psi and the disk blows I'd say he did you a favor. If the disk is rated for a 3/2 hydro cylinder, then it should blow between 4050 and 4500 PSI. Again, pretty safe on a 3500 PSI cylinder, but the latter could potentially get you if you hot filled the tank and got overzealous with it. Regardless, overfilling a HP cylinder to 4000 PSI+ is unwise.

You could always change the disks - they're only about $7-8 each, but you need a torque wrench to install them correctly. If over or undertightened they will not blow at the correct pressure. Note that you CANNOT remove and re-use the "one piece" disc assemblies.

GENESIS -did you read the ad that described the manifold and valves? he told me despite what the valve said on the front(3000psi) they could still be used on hp pressure tanks with 3500psi. he said he did it and just did slow fills. what are the markings on a burst disk for a 3500psi operating presuure. i'm pretty ticked, and i will probably ask for my monies back. any suggestions?:confused:

Back
Top Bottom