I'm the doofus who lost his camera on Yucab

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't suppose you had trip insurance or you'd have mentioned it by now, not that that would replace the lost pics.

You hold your cameras as you roll in...?! :confused:

Well Don, Trip Insurance wont cover a lost camera/housing and strobe properly. First of all they have deductibles, they have sublimits of $1,000 or maybe $1,500 max if endorsed properly but you will pay almost what DEPP charges for an annual policy with no limit on how many trips are taken. Trip Insurance with special endorsements only covers you for that trip. No matter what, insure it properly and you wont have to lose sleep over it.

The owner could certainly turn it in under his homeowners insurance if it was scheduled, or if it was insured with DEPP as mine is. I almost lost my Oly 5060 and PT20 several years ago but was not as close as of a call as it could have been. You might want to check out the insurance with DEPP. I have my camera and my gear insured with them and its not expensive at all. Our gear and my camera including Flood coverage is $52.00 annual. No doubt worth it and I have used the coverage on my housing as it was dropped in the boat after a dive and broke a button and in turn, broke the camera pod that was operated by the button. Camera repaired by Oly and new housing. No deductible. Definate way to go.

Hi Mike,

I said...
Sure, DEPP would be the preferred coverage, but I figured if he had that then these two threads wouldn't even exist.
I use Trip Ins for other reasons mainly, but I'd give it a shot. The one I use doesn't have a deductible, but it does have other limits and yes - it'd be an iffy claim.

Don,

...As far as attachment points... I prefer not to use anything ... It does however work for me...

WHAT ??!! LMAO !!! You may want to re-think that 'theory'.:shakehead:

Rob,

99.9% of the time my camera is neutral or slightly negative. I knew on this dive it would be positive (That is why I was using a lanyard) I didnt tighten it up sufficiently.

Isnt a lanyard an attachment point? I used it on this dive.

Folks made suggestions to me(and others) about what works for them. You do not know me or my preffered method of diving. I really dont need to rethink my theories.

WHAT ??!! LMAO !!! You may want to re-think that 'theory'.:shakehead:

I know people who have $5K camera rigs that don't use a lanyard. It is what works for them.

I also know people that use a backplate and wing, and dive with a 7 ft hose. I don't, but that setup seems to work for them too.

I know people who have $5K camera rigs that don't use a lanyard. It is what works for them....

And if they lose their $5000 rig, I bet they'll go with a tether. Wrist lanyards are worthless and highly uncomfortable if you have a set of gear with any kind of size and weight to it. My gear is worth a few grand, and I didn't wait till I lost it to tether it to me. Live and learn, I guess. It's nice to be able to let it hang while doing deco. Sometimes it's two hand hanging here off of Jersey.

Bruce,

You should be diving a BP/Wing...5' hose would be ok for you

LOL

While I am comfortable with my rear inflation BC, I'd also welcome the chance to test dive a BP/Wing set up. I do have a 7 ft hose, but I mostly use it in the pool just for fun.

Back
Top Bottom