I'm new and wanna go to Mexico!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver-t

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there, I'm excited to be here!

Looking to plan a secret dive trip in Mexico for my hubby and I. But, have no idea where to go.

1. What cities/areas do you recommend in Mexico for great/non-cattle boat diving?
  2. Any dive boat companies you recommend?
  3. What time of year is best?
I hope to stay at a resort through in-laws time share. We have 30-40 dives each, so quite comfortable, but not masters yet! He'd love to see some big stuff, but we also love peaceful dives with all the little stuff.

Thanks for your input!

diver-t:
Hi there, I'm excited to be here! Looking to plan a secret dive trip in Mexico for my hubby and I. But, have no idea where to go.
  1. What cities/areas do you recommend in Mexico for great/non-cattle boat diving?
  2. Any dive boat companies you recommend?
  3. What time of year is best?
I hope to stay at a resort through in-laws time share. We have 30-40 dives each, so quite comfortable, but not masters yet! He'd love to see some big stuff, but we also love peaceful dives with all the little stuff.Thanks for your input!

Welcome to the Board. . . you've come to the right place. First go to the top of the page, one choice on the toolbar is "Forums" click there and wait for the list to appear. scroll down past New divers, down past underwater photography, keep going past accidents, keep gooing past Regional Travel, past the United States till you see "Mexico". . . Now click on the city where you have a time share.

Cancun has the night life and with a boat ride can find some coral to dive on. . .
Playa del Carmen has more lush reefs, more fish life and freshwater caverns with fresh water with 400 foot visibility. If the Time share is in San Miguel de Cozumel, you've hit the paradise of the carribean. The dream spot of all divers. . . Cozumel has it's own board and you can read about the fanatics that are there right now!

From any of these cities you can travel quickly and cheaply to any of the others by bus, and, if you are not on Cozumel. . . a bus ride and a Ferry ride can get you to the island. Before you leave, check out the forums for Mexico and for Cozumel for recommendations for dive shops. Use the search function for top recommended dive shops, and book your dive shop immediately! Right now is "High" season and most operators are booked. My favorite time is February when it is easier to book with a favorite shop. . . There are people that will say every month is their favorite, and it's true. There are many lucky Americans living there that say there are no bad times to dive Cozumel's reefs.

If you're not leaving in the next few days, set up your computer to slide show the underwater pictures from ScubaBoard and Cozumel and call your husband in to look at what you found "accidently" on the internet. Enjoy!

Sounds like Cozumel is in your future.

There are many dozens of dive ops so you can find whatever type op you want, from cattle boat to 4-6 packs. I had great experiences with Dive Paradise, their express boats not their cattle boats. Forum faves include Aldora, Blue XT Sea, Liquid Blue, and others.

I would recommend staying in town, close to all the shopping and restaurants. To go all-inclusive or not is a perpetual and contentious issue on this board. If fine dining and learning about the local culture is a big part of your vacation, then you might prefer a la carte. If you're all about the diving and just need quick and easy calories to sustain life, then perhaps AI is best. I'm a big fan of AI because you can usually get your money's worth just from the drinks and snacks, even if you do eat your dinners in town. Anyway, you'll get a lot of opinions on it, that's mine.

The drawback about staying in town is there are no beaches, at most hotels have created little sandy areas next to the ironshore coastline. The southern end of the island has the best beaches but it's a $15 or more taxi ride just to go into town. In this case, AI becomes even more tempting. The northern end also has good beaches but it's hard to get dive ops to pick you up there.

Best time of year is whenever you can stay the longest. :D The winter is high season, temperatures will be a welcome warm break from our winter but not sweltering. Summer will be lowest prices but you have to dodge hurricanes. However, despite the double whammy in 2005, hurricanes are pretty rare in Coz. It's really a 12 month destination.

Since you are a left coaster living in Oregon you may want to consider Baja California.
Loreto,La Paz, Cabo San Lucas. All are serviced by major airlines and have a smatterinmg of time shares and mucho great diving and each has several dive operators.

La paz and may be others have trips to the sea mounts which is inhabited by the large tame rideable Manta Rays.

All are with in the tropic of cancer, therefore it will be warm H2O.

I assue that you are flying? Some drive to Baja from Oregon.
cheers from California,
SDM

sam miller:
which is inhabited by the large tame rideable Manta Rays

:popcorn: :happyjaz:

Howdy and welcome to SB!

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

Hi, welcome to the board.

[QUOTE=RoatanMan
"which is inhabited by large, tame rideable manta rays."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
They were formerly called "Devil fish" or "Mobula."

The name Devil fish was aquired by their apperance and more specificly by their habit of hooking their wings on a helmet divers hose as a means to rid themselves of parasites. They often became entangled and dragged the helpless diver to his death. This habit created the well deserved title "Devil fish" with in the early helmet divers.

The term Mobula is an old one dateing to the 1940s had its origin in the scientific community.

We westeners will ride anything, any time, any where, ... especially the Mantas

Now you know...

sdm

Welcome and I hope you have fun in Mexico. Cozumel is the only place I have visited in Mexico, but if you just hunt around on the board you will see that I will not be the only one that recommends it. Great diving. Friendly people. Good variety of hotels and dive ops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom