I'm new and wanna go to Mexico!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I liked my trip to San Carlos MX. If you go with Garys Dive shop it is a good operation very laid back. Its a little more out of the way and off of the beaten path but fun.

www.sancarlosmexico.com is a link to a lot of good info.

Another Oregon Diver! Welcome. My wife and I are divers of the warm water ilk and are traveling ot Puerto Morelos (south of Cancun) in February. We are looking for other divers interested in the trip. We have arranged a private villa and a daily dives over 10 days (2 tanks a day) at an incredible price. The dive trips will be small groups (and private if we get enough divers to commit!). PM me for more information.

I was told the mantas have disappeared from Baja (La Paz). Still a great place to dive. Cozumel is probably the best all around but far from Oregon. Playa del Carmen had great visibility, nice town and beaches, but on the boring side for diving (based on one limited experience). Their cenotes more than made up for that, however. Have fun wherever you decide to go!

Personally I like Oct/Nov for LaPaz/Cabo (too hot in summer), and Spring or Fall for Cozumel and Playa (too hot/humid in summer).

In Coz Blue Angel was a good dive op (there are many) and in La Paz go with Baja Quest.

diver-t:
Hi there, I'm excited to be here!

Looking to plan a secret dive trip in Mexico for my hubby and I. But, have no idea where to go.

1. What cities/areas do you recommend in Mexico for great/non-cattle boat diving?
  2. Any dive boat companies you recommend?
  3. What time of year is best?
I hope to stay at a resort through in-laws time share. We have 30-40 dives each, so quite comfortable, but not masters yet! He'd love to see some big stuff, but we also love peaceful dives with all the little stuff.

Thanks for your input!
Great Idea - Mexico has some of the best diving you will find, and so many other advantages too - close to the USA, good food, reasonable prices, nice people, excellent diving. I've made over 15 trips there over the years and can't wait to go back.

IMHO if you want to DIVE, go to Cozumel - other places have diving, but the diving there is really world class - you could go to Cabo and the Sea of Cortez,both places with great diving, but I don't think thats the trip you are looking for at this time.

Many good operators (and a fair number of poor ones) but one that I have used 12 times is Blue Angel - small boats, and very reasonable ($53 for a 2 tank dive). Thay also have a hotel next door but lots of places to stay on the Island.

More info, contact Jeannie - Info below (she is great to work with; tell her Rob from Miami recommended)

Jeanie Buscher
BLUE ANGEL DIVE SHOP
www.blueangel-scuba.com
Oceanfront at Caribe Blu Hotel
www.caribeblu.net
caribeblu@prodigy.net.mx
Cozumel, Mexico

if you will be in the riviera maya.... try Bahia Divers on Xpu Ha beach.
They have small groups and great divemasters. They also come and pick you up at the hotel. Great open water...also try the cavern diving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diver-T, you may already have planned your trip by now, but even if you have, Mexico is worth multiple trips especially as a convenient destination from the USA. Since 1999, I've dived in Mexico at least 1 week every year. Unfortunately, I always go in the low season (Spring or Fall), so there's less chance of seeing the giant manta rays or whales which are more common in the Winter. I can't recommend any live-aboards because my wife doesn't dive and is also prone to motion sickness.

Baja California has Los Cabos (Cabo San Lucas, San Jose Del Cabo, Cabo Pulmo). Cabo San Lucas is a bit like Cancun in that it's more commercial, but there are many dive sites close to the Marina. There are strong currents at the tip of Baja (Land's End) where you'll almost always find seals (Seal Rock), but the currents can be quite strong there. Further up on the Sea of Cortez side of Baja, there are some easier and pleasant dives at Pelican's Rock, Neptune's Finger, or off Lovers Beach. There are also wall dives available where you can sometimes see sand falls. Lots of fish, huge schools (entire walls of fish), eel, lobster, crabs, rays, etc. Occasionally, you'll see a white tip reef shark or octopus. There's also a beach dive in Chileno Bay between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo. While San Lucas is more Americanized, San Jose has more Mexican ambience. Cabo Pulmo is more remote and secluded with excellent drift dives. The current does all the work, but if you want to stay an look at something longer, you'll have to hang on to a rock or dig into the sandy bottom for a grip.

The Cancun and Isla Mujeres area offers access to many more sites. Large spotted eagle rays are common along with sea turtles and of course a huge variety of other sea life. There are some good wreck dives as well including a gunboat at about 80ft deep. When I was there in Dec 2002, there was a giant Jewfish (a goliath variety of grouper) which lived in one of the ship's chambers. Over the years it had eaten so many unsuspecting fish in the ship that it has grown too large to get out of the chamber, but there's always enough fish going in there to keep alive. Isla Mujeres also offers a national marine park which is great for snorkeling. There are a lot of sand dollars here. The island also has a famous house which is shaped like a giant conch shell.

Cozumel offers world class diving including cave diving. Unfortunately, I only spent 1 day there and only explored a couple of reefs (Yucab & Paraiso). On a future trip, I plan to return to Cozumel as well as explore some of the cenotes around the Playa del Carmen area which is the closest ferry point going to Cozumel.

Puerto Vallarta has a number of interesting dive sites. Los Arcos is a goot night dive destination. Look for octopus and sleeping parrot fish. Sometimes, you can see the protective bubble that the parrot fish exude around them while sleeping. My favorite sites are El Morro and Las Marietas which have small caves, tunnels, and abundant sea life. Altho near the surface, the water can be over 80 F, the water at depth can be relatively cold in Puerto Vallarta even tho it is so far south. The cold thermoclines can be 67-70 F, so many people still wear 5 mm suits. This was at the end of May. However, because of the colder waters, I had the priviledge of swimming with 2 giant manta rays (not the smaller bat rays or mobilas) at Los Anegados. They were simply looping thru the water scooping up the plankton. I was able to touch one and measured them by using my own arm spans. The larger one had about a 14 ft wing span while the smaller one was 12-13 ft. They had the largest remora that I've ever seen attached to their bellys.

Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa offer decent diving, but not nearly as good as all the other areas above. Zihua is famous as the sleepy fishing village in the movie Shawshank Redemption, but it has developed quite a bit since I first went there in 2001. There are a number of nice resorts on both the west and east sides of Zihua Bay The most unusual experience here would be the large seahorses (4-5 inches long) which can be found in Zihua Bay at a site called Caleta de Chon. Caleta de Chon is also an excellent spot for night dives. There are many other dive sites off Zihua and Ixtapa where you can see the usual including spotted eagle rays, but there are no sharks here. My favorite sites are La Piedra Solitaria and Morros de Potosi. Morros de Potosi is the most interesting site with shallow caves, tunnels and lots of sea life, but because of its further distance, lower visibility, and occasional currents, dive operators don't have regular trips there.

hey there, cancuns a great holiday spot for your first mexican vacation, safe, friendly, and lots to do, as far as the diving goes cancuns different to cozumel but full of marine life, the divings fun! check www.mayanaquadive.com, maybe we can help with something, its small, personal, professional and not a cattle market!

hi ,dont know when your trip is, but puerto vallarta is a great place to go. there are small dive shops, great romatic places, good diving, and the people are wonderfull. write me for more info

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom