I'm looking for suggestions on dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kafer

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone, I was certified in October 07 and have been diving hudson grotto and devil's den but now that the water is starting to warm up I would like to give saltwater a try. I did do venice but that turned out to be such a horrible day that I dont count that dive :)

Im still new and unfortunatly im still kind of hesitant when it comes to diving. I only have 11 dives logged so far so im sure its due to lack of experiance. Im looking for suggestions of places to dive in the gulf that are "newbie friendly" and boat operators that go to some of these places and are patient with "the new guy". I know that i can go to any dive shop and get suggestions for boat operators but I would rather hear what your suggestions/experiances are with local dive charters and dive spots.

kafer,
I see your join date is October, and you have only posted a few times... (not a big deal...) Welcome to the world of diving!

Check the Tampa Bay area threads on a regular basis. Also, check the Conch Divers scheduled dives. That is the area where everything is announced (This area [the area you posted in] is good for the GTB area, though)

There are others who will welcome you and invite you on "new diver friendly" dives, meet-n-greets, and shore dive get-togethers (Venice Beach included... We can show you where and how to make those dives worth your while!)

I live in the area, but do most of my diving across the state... But... we'll probably meet one day soon at VB!

kafer,
I see your join date is October, and you have only posted a few times... (not a big deal...) Welcome to the world of diving!

Check the Tampa Bay area threads on a regular basis. Also, check the Conch Divers scheduled dives. That is the area where everything is announced (This area [the area you posted in] is good for the GTB area, though)

There are others who will welcome you and invite you on "new diver friendly" dives, meet-n-greets, and shore dive get-togethers (Venice Beach included... We can show you where and how to make those dives worth your while!)

I live in the area, but do most of my diving across the state... But... we'll probably meet one day soon at VB!

Thank you for the warm welcome CoolTech.

As far as the low post count goes, Im still new to diving and I dont feel that I have any worthwhile input/experiance. As my experiances progresses im sure my questions and input to other threads will as well :)

My venice experiance didnt go well but I will return sometime soon and try to have a good time! :) and to have a worthwhile guide would be great!

Well if I didn't catch you before... Welcome to the Board. Don't worry about your experience level here. Everyone starts somewhere and this is a great resource for new divers to learn so feel free to get in there and ask any questions and give your opinions. As far as dive sites go I will recommend the Bradenton dive sites. Regina/ Sugar Barge and The Spanish Rocks. Both are relatively easy shore entries and nice shallow dives. Definately good for beginners in my book. Venice is also a good dive from shore.
If you are looking for a boat to go out on I have 2 to recommend. Go down and hit Florida West Scuba in Venice. Do their shark tooth dive. There is no rush and they make you feel very comfortable. I did a dive with them shortly after I first got certified and it helped me greatly with my comfort level in the water. The second would be Capt. Ty here on the Board. I have personally never been out with him ( something I have to get to) but his reputation is second to none. From what I have heard from others he is very accomidating and has a very nice boat.
Any time you are looking to go diving just post it here on the board and you will probably have a dive buddy in no time. This group dives a lot and is very friendly.
Ken

Capt. Ty runs a great charter boat out of Bay Pines in St.Pete. He's highly recommended by everyone for Gulf trips!! He also posts on the board so contacting him is no problem./

There are limited shore dives in the area. Venice Beach ( I see you've met ) Spanish Rocks in Bradenton along with the Sugar Barge. These can be hit or miss with the vis depending on the weather.

and then there's the many freshwater springs in the state :)

The post count is fine with me, it shows you are more prone to listening than talking which is a good thing. Welcome aboard!

and avoid git-r-done like the plague......he'll only get you thrown out of restaurants

Hi Ken! Feeling the love yet? :D

and avoid git-r-done like the plague......he'll only get you thrown out of restaurants

Dang, you beat me to the Ken bashing again!!

Thats not a good thing because I am normally hungry after a dive for some reason. :D

Thank you all for the replies

NICE. There is such an abundance of love around here. With friends like you who needs enemies.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom