I'm looking for some San Diego diving recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcf57

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am from the Atlanta area & will be in the San Diego area this coming October. I am a certified diver, but have never been to this area so am looking at joining up with a local dive outfit for a charter of some kind. Just me so I will have to buddy up with someone on the boat.

Any suggestions or dive shops in the area that go out on group charters that I could tag along with?

Hi @mcf57

I have visited San Diego 6 times and have dived with Lois Ann, Marissa, and Waterhorse. They are all good operations. They do each have have their own character that may appeal more to some than others. I often pick my operator by who's going out and where they are going. Destinations are wreck alley, kelp, and Coronado Islands.

I would suggest going to their websites and doing some research on the dive sites, etc. Some of the dives may be beyond your current training/abilities. Make sure you dress appropriately, bottom temp us usually low 50s, perhaps a bit warmer off the Coronados. You should not have a problem getting a buddy

Good diving, Craig

Check with Power Scuba they have a very active meet-up group in the area and both shore dive and boat dive weekly - at least in the summer. They don't have the October calendar up yet. Power Scuba: San Diego Scuba Diving (and Beyond)

Some local references:

www.divebums.com - all things about San Diego diving. (the four Sport Chalet shops listed closed last year()

If you shore dive, check out La Jolla - either the Cove or the Shores. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding someone to show you around at either. Cove parking is really limited so go early - then earlier than that on weekends. The Shores has a big lot - the draw there is part of Scripps Canyon runs just offshore and big pelagics swim thru it at rec. depths. Also local classes are taught there. The Cove is definitely the better dive though.

www.californiadiveboats.com lists a few other options but IMO Craig ^ named the better dayboat options. To get into the Kelp - look for a Point Loma charter - it's a much shorter ride than out to the channel islands which lately aren't as good. San Diego options are the last 6 boats on the list. Several dock near Mission Beach if you have a choice in where you're staying. In SoCal the DM generally stays on the boat unless there's a problem. So ask about a buddy up-front when booking - either there will be another single diver or you can hire a DM to accompany only you.

There's a very active sea lion rookery at Los Coronados Islands on the US/Mexico border a couple of the boats dive also. They provide the needed visa so read the needed documentation requirements if you plan to do that. It's a lot of fun, the sea lions generally will be in the water waiting for you. Leave ypur snorkel on the boat if you want to keep your mask..

Not my video but you get an idea:

I'll have to check into this. Los Coronados was my first snorkeling experience back in 1964. I went with my next-door neighbor who was a spearfisherman and a couple of his buddies. They put a mask, snorkel, and fins on me, handed me a little speargun (that I couldn't even load) and told me if any sharks bother me just poke them in the nose and they'll go away. They dropped me into about 70' of water and I was instantly hooked on the underwater world!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom