I'm in for DIR-F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did the first class meeting the other night and am just about to get on my way for the second.
Our instructor offered us rental gear if we required it.
I don't know if that an option elsewhere but it might be a good question.
I'm a very picky consumer and my instructor Joe talavera has more than exceded my expectations.
I was drinking from a fire hydrant of knowledge.
Mech

I just looked up the cost for the DIR-F...
I haven´t taken it and maybe I´m not quite there yet skill/ambition/gear- wise but I just wanted to say that it looks like GREAT value-for-money...
The cost is equal to that of a PADI-specialty course...I had no idea...I´ll definitely be looking in to this more...
Even if I flunk it I´d pay the money for a weekends worth of instruction...RESPECT to you GUE instructors out there...

People would not need an expensive fundamentals class if thier instructors just taught them right from the get-go!

I would not call the DIR fundamentals class expensive.
When I attended in July last year, I paid $300 for the course. We had three (3) Instructors on 6 students. Two were teaching, and one video taping. One of the teaching instructors, Brandon, was flown in from Detroit to help us in this class. We spent the class time on Catalina Island which added hotel costs for the instructors on top of that.

To me that is very impressive and shows a great commitment from the instructors. They can not have made much, if any money on this class.
I felt like they really were there to teach us, and not to make money.

Hats off to these committed divers.

Anders

I agree JPBECK but as it is I´m afraid we have to take the world as we find it...
And anyways, I atleast, don´t think this is expensive when you compare the value from DIR_F (at least from what I´ve seen on this board) to that of other classes in the same price-range.

I think you missed the point --- any money spent on somthing called a Fundamentals class is too much ----What does the word Fundamentals mean anyways---

Instructors don't make money on it- They do it because they feel it is it needed to further their cause! To make everyone a better more steamlined diver!

Back to my first point... We would not have to teach a fundamentals class if the BOW Instructors taught them right from the GET-GO!

My hat goes off to them too- I feel bad for them because they dont make money on or have fun doing it--- In aperfect world they should be doing fun dives! Teaching Fun things! Maybe one day the DIR-F class will not exsist! Because everyone will change their teaching standards--- Instead of offereing classes that pump unsat- divers out because of time restains - Basic Instructors will put thier foot down and say enough is enough! Then we can go back to the days where - if you could not hack it you would not get your C-card! Then we will not have sooo many stupid divers Dying!

Sorry if that offens you but I am tired of all the Bull that is going around in the dive industary! Making it so anyone can dive--- Diving is a Sport that can kill you-

JPBECK:
People would not need an expensive fundamentals class if thier instructors just taught them right from the get-go!
I would bet that GUE would agree with you.

JPBECK:
Back to my first point... We would not have to teach a fundamentals class if the BOW Instructors taught them right from the GET-GO!
While I'm not going to disagree that there are bad instructors out there; this issue ultimately comes down to the diver him or herself. The diver in training must want to learn more than just barely surviving while breathing underwater. Unfortunately, in my opinion the vast majority don't want to learn anything above and beyond that. The popularity of $99 weekend certification classes bears witness to this fact.

I recently went to Bonaire with my wife Linda, her father and stepmom. Linda and her father Dick are divers, but they only dive on warm water vacations (iow, not that often). Linda hadn't been in the water in a little over a year and Dick was coming up on a year. I suggested to both of them that a refresher was in order. Linda absolutely agreed but it took some convincing on our part to get her dad to do the refresher.

On the refresher dive I observed while they went through the basic skills. Linda did fine after some early apprehension (even an S-drill, as I had converted her regs to the long hose and bungied safe second before our trip). Dick struggled with all the skills and bouyancy and was obviously not comfortable. He also had the most difficulty (of anyone, not just in our little group) on the guided boat dives we all did together throughout the week. Quite frankly, he's an accident waiting to happen.

The point of all this rambling is that as I was talking with Linda and her parents in the evenings, Dick thought he was a pretty good diver (!). I tried subtly to point out things he might want to work on, but I just think he sees no need to improve. No amount of good instruction will change that self-view, most likely.

The worst part is that Dick's wife Karen (Linda's step-mom) did the Discover Scuba while we were in Bonaire and really enjoyed it. So guess how she's getting certified... yep, a quickie weekend certification course! I really argued against this, but they just didn't want to spend the extra cash on a real classroom and pool setting here, then a referral OW dive session in Roatan (or anywhere warm, for that matter).

So, as I said it's ultimately the new divers that are the problem here. No amount of good instructors will change this, as this isn't want the general buying public wants.

Jimmie

P.S. During our trip Linda asked to try on my bp/wing (she hated the BC I had borrowed for her). She really liked my Halcyon and now wants one like it. This made me quite happy!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom