I'm having my shoulder operated on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simonk999

Contributor
Reaction score
Next Monday, I am getting arthroscopic shoulder repair surgery to fix the results of several dislocations over the years.

Last time it dislocated, and one reason I finally agreed to surgery, was while diving. Fortunately, happened just on initial descent; my theory is that because I was wearing a lot of neoprene, and had a DUI shoulder harness weight belt on, when I raised my arm, it dislocated because the rest of the shoulder was abnormally constrained by said neoprene and weight.

Anyhow, the repair consists of absorbable suture anchors fitted into holes drilled into whatever bone is appropriate (glenoid?), then it's 12-16 weeks of healing and rehab.

I asked DAN about scuba after such surgery, and they replied with a vague general "should be ok".

Well, during my rehab, I'll be diving vicariously through the postings here.

-Simon

Hope you have a complete and speedy recovery!

so.............looks like you'll have time to read all the old posts since day 1 :wink:

Good luck with your recovery, Simon. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

for a speedy and thorough recovery. Maybe you could disuss the stresses put on your shoulder joint with a physical therapist after the surgery. They might be able to adopt your therapy program to strengthen specific muscles to lessen your chances of a future dislocation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom