• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Free flow at 94' ffw

Discussion in 'Near Misses and Lessons Learned' started by 0321tony, Jun 20, 2019.

1. JackD342

JackD342 Dive Shop

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Unless I misunderstood the original narrative, it was the alternate 2nd stage, seemingly a spontaneous event.

2. happy-diver

happy-diver Skindiver ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    If the first stage is the cause I don't want extra flow going through my primary
    when you block the secondary with one of those valves
    and the pressure has to go somewhere

Does anyone here fold the hose in half to stop freeflow

williamlee likes this.
  3. JackD342

JackD342 Dive Shop

Good point and a compelling reason to think hard before putting one on BOTH 2nd stages.

4. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    How would this be different than using the shutoff valve?

5. 0321tony

0321tony Angel Fish

It came from my alternate second stage regulator I had on a necklace around my neck. Strange thing at least for me that cought me off guard was that it was the alternate and I wasn't using it so it had no airflow going through it. For me it would have been easier to understand if it had been my primary and it froze up while in use. My primary continued to work all the way to the surface. I was half expecting that with the amount of air going through and the mid 40's water temp my first stage would freeze up but it never did.

6. JackD342

JackD342 Dive Shop

I wonder if you somehow accidentally compressed the purge and started a flow, then by the time you noticed and/or repositioned it had iced up. If the mouthpiece was pointing up in the water column where it was positioned, then even easier for it to happen.

shoredivr and Graeme Fraser like this.
  7. stepfen

stepfen Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Very well done for handling the situation and informing us about it!

It seems it took more than 6 minutes for the tank to drain. That's my estimate based on: 3+ minutes problem solving and ascent, 2 minutes SS, 1 minute further freeflow on the surface. Can you give us a more accurate figure?

In any way I am glad to know it is much more than the 2 minutes usually mentioned for 2nd stage/LP hose problems.

Thanks for sharing and welcome back :)

8. happy-diver

happy-diver Skindiver ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives

Right so if you didn't inadvertently operate your necklace reg then the first was stuck open or not completely closing or closing slowly with each breath, whereby your breathing did dot keep up with the amount of air your first was delivering increasing pressure in the necklace, opening the thing when the pressure became too high for the reg to remain closed.

They are after all downstream safety valves, regs anyway

Makes sense to me

It's better to have a freeflow from your secondary second, than a freeflow in your mouth

when your first stage is stuck open, utilising a shutoff increases pressure to the other reg

Go for a dive with your finger on your primary purge

There is no place for shut off valves in open circuit especially when
    they're available in on with the flow, and on against the flow, versions

Does this stuff really happen or am I talking through my A

Very good.

9. chris kippax

chris kippax Divemaster

Have you checked your IP?

10. Gareth J

Gareth J Manta Ray

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Treat Flow stops with caution. If it is the second stage that as free flowed, then shutting off the flow stop would be OK. However, if it's the first stage, the second stage acts like a pressure relief valve, closing the Flow stop, would result in a burst hose.

One other point, is it a flow restriction, even when open. Therefore it will have an adverse effect on the performance of the regulator.

MinimalMayhem likes this.