I'm done with teaching. It's time.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all you've done Jim. You helped me a lot. Gotta enjoy everything while you can.

I will continue to do service work and content creation when the opportunity presents itself.
Sorry to see you go, but glad to see you're making it a conscious, thoughtful decision rather than wait till you're burned out and miserable.

Glad to hear you mention content creation. There are a range of scuba diving community topics of interest that could benefit from objective 3rd party articles. Content on offer from people or businesses trying to sell something can be well-done and trustworthy, but there's something compelling about content from a source that has no business affiliation or economic connection to the topic.

Richard.

Jim, good diving in the future and thanks for all your sharing in the past, both here on SB and in your classes. I took your reg rebuild class and appreciate your knowledge and experience. Haven't been able to catch up to dive with you but maybe in the future.

I love teaching, sharing knowledge, taking about scuba, and so much more. However, I zero intention on ever becoming an instructor for the reasons you and many other instructors have listed. To put this in the most concise way possible, the industry seems designed to enrich middle-men, at the expense of those who put in most of the hard work. It reminds me of a pyramid scheme.

If I was to instruct, it would have to be free unofficial tutoring, some kind of product like sidemounting.com, or completely independent. If I'm going to work for free, or near-free, I'd rather cut out the middle-man.

What I think I appreciated about your post - is the wisdom that you know 'it's time'. That shows a level of maturity that I hope I'll have in other aspects of life.

Too bad to hear that. Very sad.

IMHO, your book on Advanced OW training should be put in the hands of every novice/beginner diver so that they have a realistic map of the skills they should eventually acquire to become safe divers.

They should have this knowledge from the very beginning, long before they put a toe in the water.

Overwhelming ? Only to those who shouldn't dive in the first place, I believe.

The number of avoidable deaths and near-misses around the world every year speaks for itself.

To quote Slugmug, "I love teaching, sharing knowledge, taking about scuba, and so much more". The reasons you expressed Jim for hanging up you instructor regs, is the reason i never went the instructor route. I had good buddy and him I made many enjoyable dives together. He the instructor route and it changes ours all together. I admire so of the guys I have know as instructors. But, i did not want it be be job. I have had great satisfaction and enjoyment just being a mentor. But is seems now a days, that's not want most people want. I few of the LDSs i

A few of the local LDSs i've been lately look at me when i bring it, like who the hell is is this guy. Just sad, the way things have turned, I fully understand you thoughs and decision. Happy and safe diving!!

I've never wanted to become an instructor or do courses to that level. I'll just do the courses I want and do the diving I want.
I've a good buddy who is an instructor I will be diving with in Bali for three weeks from next week He loves his vacation dives without being around students. We met in the Philippines several years ago.

That being said it is people like Jim Lapenta that make it all possible for plonkers like me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom