I'm buying stuff! Give opinions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelmadness

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been trolling around here for a week or two trying to figure out what to buy. I'm starting to narrow it down. Here's where I'm at right now. This keeps changing, so please give me advice. This will be my first BC, reg, computer, etc.. I have always rented :( Thank you to anyone who can help me make some decisions I'll be happy with...

-zeagle brigade bcd
-apeks atx50 reg.
-apeks atx50 octopus, yellow
-suunto mosquito wrist dive computer

-air guage?

-steel tank?

other stuff i'm thinking of getting:

-akona bag of some kind for all my gear
-whistle/signaling device of some kind

All great gear. Have you used any of it? i suggest a basic air guage and a steel tank. Steel tank will help get weight out of your BC. It will also help to keep you from being face down on the surface with a back inflate BC like the Zeagle.

travelmadness:
I've been trolling around here for a week or two trying to figure out what to buy. I'm starting to narrow it down. Here's where I'm at right now. This keeps changing, so please give me advice. This will be my first BC, reg, computer, etc.. I have always rented :( Thank you to anyone who can help me make some decisions I'll be happy with...

-zeagle brigade bcd
-apeks atx50 reg.

-air guage?

-steel tank?

travelmadness:

-zeagle brigade bcd
-apeks atx50 reg.

-air guage?

-steel tank?

OMS makes really good air gauges (called SPGs).

Faber makes really good steel tanks.

I have an Akona mesh bag too.

plastic whistles are worthless. take a look at DiveAlert LP hose powered air horns. it connects to your B/C power inflator.

Quarrior:
All great gear. Have you used any of it? i suggest a basic air guage and a steel tank. Steel tank will help get weight out of your BC. It will also help to keep you from being face down on the surface with a back inflate BC like the Zeagle.

No I haven't used any of it, but I'm familiar with it. I'm really not too afraid of buying things I haven't actually used. I definitely want a steel tank, but not sure what size is best?

I'm wondering if I should buy an air guage / depth combo, even though that watch can do depth. I was out a couple weeks ago and a girl had trouble when her watch ran out of batteries early in the day. Having the depth back-up seems like a good idea in that situation, and only a little bit more money. Although I like the idea of not carrying down unnecessary gear...

travelmadness:
I've been trolling around here for a week or two trying to figure out what to buy.
I think the proper terminology is "lurking", not "trolling"... Trolling on the ScubaBoard has completely different connotations :)
travelmadness:
I'm starting to narrow it down. Here's where I'm at right now. This keeps changing, so please give me advice. This will be my first BC, reg, computer, etc.. I have always rented :( Thank you to anyone who can help me make some decisions I'll be happy with...

-zeagle brigade bcd
-apeks atx50 reg.

-air guage?

-steel tank?

Can't say a whole lot about the gear you're looking at... except I would recomend the Suunto Vyper over the Mosquito for features, or at least the Suunto Gekko. The Vyper has a lot more features than the Mosquito, and it's very close to the same price (at least on Leisurepro.com). The Gekko has close to the same feature list as the older Mosquito, but it's cheaper.

Tank size is really an individual thing. I'm short but have a huge tank because I like maximum bottom and use a fair amount of gas. I'm a smoker (no comments about smoking please).

There are two schools of thought on the depth guage issue. First is you don't really need one because if something goes wrong with any gear, you immediaely end the dive and begin your ascent. Second school of thought is to have a back up and still end the dive. Advantage of the second school of thought is you can tell what depth you're at and can guage your ascent rate which is critical.

Persoanally, I dive with 2 computers. Different brands. I follow which ever one is the most conservative.

In your case, i would go with the analog pressure guage and analog depth guage combination and get a basic underwater watch, not a second computer, to back up the computer you plan to buy. That way you are backed up all the way around and did not spend an arm and a leg.

travelmadness:
No I haven't used any of it, but I'm familiar with it. I'm really not too afraid of buying things I haven't actually used. I definitely want a steel tank, but not sure what size is best?

I'm wondering if I should buy an air guage / depth combo, even though that watch can do depth. I was out a couple weeks ago and a girl had trouble when her watch ran out of batteries early in the day. Having the depth back-up seems like a good idea in that situation, and only a little bit more money. Although I like the idea of not carrying down unnecessary gear...

Quarrior:
Tank size is really an individual thing. I'm short but have a huge tank because I like maximum bottom and use a fair amount of gas. I'm a smoker (no comments about smoking please).

There are two schools of thought on the depth guage issue. First is you don't really need one because if something goes wrong with any gear, you immediaely end the dive and begin your ascent. Second school of thought is to have a back up and still end the dive. Advantage of the second school of thought is you can tell what depth you're at and can guage your ascent rate which is critical.

Persoanally, I dive with 2 computers. Different brands. I follow which ever one is the most conservative.

In your case, i would go with the analog pressure guage and analog depth guage combination and get a basic underwater watch, not a second computer, to back up the computer you plan to buy. That way you are backed up all the way around and did not spend an arm and a leg.

I've got a great dive watch, just for timing. It's an Omega Seamaster- the downside is it gets loose down below and I can't tighten the band. I like the idea of a dive watch / computer I can tighten up a bit.

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming!

Get a new band for the Omega, one that is either more adjustable or velcro. Do not use eleastic. I lost a computer that way, not good. Then wear the Omega as a back up. Oh, one thing you not have on your list. I suggest the Suunto Sk7 wrist mount compass.

travelmadness:
I've got a great dive watch, just for timing. It's an Omega Seamaster- the downside is it gets loose down below and I can't tighten the band. I like the idea of a dive watch / computer I can tighten up a bit.

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming!

Finally, very good gear indeed. I have most of it..........I'd also recommend an OMS SPG and a steel tank. The only reason I have an AL80 is because of my boat diving. All yoke fittings and I don't want to deal with the DIN adaptor.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=OMSPGOSM

Quarrior:
Get a new band for the Omega, one that is either more adjustable or velcro. Do not use eleastic. I lost a computer that way, not good. Then wear the Omega as a back up. Oh, one thing you not have on your list. I suggest the Suunto Sk7 wrist mount compass.

I'm still scratching my head on the compass thing. Not sure if I want a computer, and a compass both on my wrist. I've been trying to think of an alternative compass solution, but can't think of anything - unless I had one attached to my BC - but that wouldn't be very practical for using it. I probably should invest in an adjustable band for my watch, thanks for reminding me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom