i'm ALWAYS hot.. how do i get a 3mm suit on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maggs_the

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
i just got certified this year and began my classes in February if you can believe it. i am always hot. always. i attribute it mostly to my high blood pressure, my excess weight and genes :eyebrow: i just came in from lunch an it's only 80F but the humidity is probably around 70% and i cannot even begin to think how i would get a wetsuit on in this. just from my car to the office door, i am sweating.

if i'm diving in a lake, quarry, etc., with me & my buddy, i know i can get in the water to get cold first, but is that really an option if i'm on a boat with other divers who may not want to wait?

in the reefs that are no more than 40ft deep, would a 1mm or even a .5mm suit/skin work for a hottie like me? i guess i'm pretty much gonna try it, but hoping to hear some confirmation that 3mm is a bit much for warm water shallow diving in the summer. oh, and i dont want a shorty cause i dont want to get all cut up and have icky stuff get me :wink:

things that make getting a wetsuit on easier:

1. wear a lycra skin. makes the wetsuit slide on much more easily.

2. sprinkle baby powder to the problem areas, such as hips and thighs

3. sit down, take your time, don't hurry. it's not a race

On a boat, if there's cover get there early enough to stake out a place in the shade. You might find it's not quite as hot and humid out on a boat and it's less of a problem. A dip off a boat works out ok sometimes, especially before a second dive if you're just sitting someplace during a surface interval. You probably don't want to be doing it once people start getting in the water though. Or at a time when the ladder isn't even down yet, or they might be starting an engine, or when for whatever reason the crew might not want someone jumping off the boat. You should let them know what you're doing.

As to whether 1mm is enough, depends what you mean by "warm water shallow." I personally would dive 1mm down to at least 78, maybe a little less. Many people won't.

My favorite solution when wearing a heavy wetsuit when it's hot - dive at night!

Do you HAVE to wear a 3ml suit?

I've always been a 'hottie' too. My solution is I don't wear wet suits! I can dive in comfort in my swimsuit and t-shirt in temps down to around 70º. Below that I get chilled after the first dive but one is doable. I have a .5ml steamer that I cut off and made a shorty, it's all I ever need. Around here, all the lakes have thermoclines around 20-25' and I just stay above it. That's where all the fish are that pose for my camera! Below that it drops into the 60's. I do have a couple wetsuits and if I ever get the chance to go somewhere like the Galapogos where it's really needed, I'll wear one. But around here, there's nothing to see below the thermocline that worth the hassle of a wetsuit!

However when you need a wetsuit, a skin is a huge help in getting it on...as Andy mentioned. Also when shopping for a wetsuit, one of the hyper-stretch suits will be alot easier to get on.

Dee:
Do you HAVE to wear a 3ml suit?

I've always been a 'hottie' too. My solution is I don't wear wet suits! I can dive in comfort in my swimsuit and t-shirt in temps down to around 70º. Below that I get chilled after the first dive but one is doable...
However when you need a wetsuit, a skin is a huge help in getting it on...as Andy mentioned. Also when shopping for a wetsuit, one of the hyper-stretch suits will be alot easier to get on.

great! thanks for the input.

You can try spraying the inside of your wetsuit with a solution of 50% CHEAP hair conditioner and 50% water. Someone else had told me a baby shampoo/water spray will work too.

My solution was to get a custom suit with "slick skin" lining from liquid fit...and zippers at the ankles and wrist.

oh yes... zippers at the ankles are amazing in how much they help

fantastic.. i love this whole "ask and ye shall be answered" :) can't wait till it's my turn to give back to the community :)

MsParamedic:
You can try spraying the inside of your wetsuit with a solution of 50% CHEAP hair conditioner and 50% water.
I put it on myself rather than the suit, works great. It's commonly known as "suit snot".

Another thought is to pour cold water down your suit once you get it on. Most any crew member I've ever met would be delighted to do this. :eyebrow:

MgicTwnger:
I put it on myself rather than the suit, works great. It's commonly known as "suit snot".

Another thought is to pour cold water down your suit once you get it on. Most any crew member I've ever met would be delighted to do this. :eyebrow:

umm.. ew.. does it HAVE to be commonly known as that?? :1poke:

now the cold water.. oh yeah, i can see that gettin me back in motion YEAH BABY!! :monkeydan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom