i'm ALWAYS hot.. how do i get a 3mm suit on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing to remember is that a wet looses about 80% of its buoyancy and hence alot of its thermal protection at about 1 atm (33 ft) so keep that in mind. Also if the suit isn't to tight you can always open the zipper (if it zips in the front) to let some water in.

Dee:
However when you need a wetsuit, a skin is a huge help in getting it on...as Andy mentioned. Also when shopping for a wetsuit, one of the hyper-stretch suits will be alot easier to get on.

one of my girl friends who's more creative than me obviously suggested instead of paying for a skin at a dive shop, getting a lycra workout thingy to go under my suit. since the lycra is only for the purpose of helping me get the rubber suit onto my sweaty body.

i still think i have to agree that i may not require a wet suit at all given the type of diving i plan to do, but i will more than likely go ahead and get the .5 or the 1mm suit anyways. i just hate to think about it because i always have to get a custom suit. the big boobs dont allow me to sport the traditional women's sizes. which brings up another question, any suggestions on the better value for someone who finds it difficult to buy off the shelf in the "normal" store?

On the dive boats I've been out on for cert dives, they've had a hose at the back for cooling off, rinsing off after the dive, and for wetting down your suit before putting it on. The only problem with the scuba snot is to make sure you don't make the deck really slick -- otherwise someone might get hurt and you'll be tossed overboard to the sharks :wink:

I know that the thinner the suit, the easier it is to get on. The lady at the dive shop I went to on Saturday suggested one of those Lycra suits -- they sometimes come with a fleece lining for a little warmth -- instead of a full-out wet suit. Especially for someone who's "naturally positively bouyant" like me. They stretch a lot better over the boob area, too (where the bulk of my bouyancy is *grin*).

Though, I found a really nice guy's shorty that I think I'm going to try out the next time I'm out diving. The 3mm suit seemed like a little bit of overkill when the water temp's over 80!!!

I run warm too, but if it helps you get the 3mm suit on, you can picture me walking down the beach in 2 layers of 7mm and doubles. After that, I can assure you a 3mm suit is a pleasure to wear.

Hit one of the sporting goods supply houses that caters to saltwater fishermen. Get a 120 quart or better Igloo chest. This allows you to store the suit relatively unfolded and wet under the ice bags. If you're diving off the gulf coast it also give you a good place for the catch later. :wink:

Alternately you can just dive in a summer weight Dickies coverall to keep the "beasties" off.

FT

I wear a lycra skin under a 3mm shorty in matching colors (like basic black). The skin makes it easy to put on the shorty, it protects from the stinging little critters out there, and it isn't as hot as a full 3mm wetsuit.

California suit donning trick is a 50/50 mix of water and cheap hair conditioner (like Flex or something). Squirt it in the suit and it glides right on, sweaty or not.

Roak

Put the conditioner on your bumps (the big parts to go over, knees, hips, butt, shoulders, ect). Works better than in the suit. Suave or any cheepie works just fine. Also the water trick is a life saver when waiting on others. Just a slug of cold water over your chest will cool you right off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom