ignorant question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karloss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I admit this is going to be an ignorant question because I know next to nothing about using a strobe. Well, here goes. Should the focus light be on or off when taking the picture? If it does not matter and is the users preference I wouldn't mind hearing the pros and cons. Thank you.

It should not really matter, but there are different answers.
My focus lights automatically turn themselves off. They are built into my strobes. So no issues can arise in my world.

If your focus light is too strong and remains on then it may screw up your shot by creating a hotspot. Every now and then my divebuddy does this to me with her dive light on a night dive.

A focus light does not need to light up the entire ocean. It just needs to provide sufficient light to help your camera focus quicker. A dim focus light may not create a hotspot.

But I no knowledge about "external" focus lights and how bright is too bright. Others should be able to help.

Now for another being that I just returned from a trip with so-so results and a question that entered my mind AFTER leaving. Should I be using the flash mask to cover the on board camera flash?

The cameras built in flash is too close to the lens and is prone to causing backscatter. On really close shots with no silt and a reef background, it's not so bad, but in open water or with any silt you won't get a clean shot. Cover it up.

Thanks for that bit of info,l will be sure to do that next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom