If you knew then what you know now... (Carnaval)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wait, what was that part in the middle there?

I know, right? not the tail end, but the head and "claw" end, smothered in butter.

right. i don't know, the antennae? now to remember the name... it is on 65, and there are "other services" available there too, if you get my drift. Copa Cabana maybe?

right. i don't know, the antennae? now to remember the name... it is on 65, and there are "other services" available there too, if you get my drift. Copa Cabana maybe?

Shave and a haircut?

Is there much in the front end?

(of the lobster)

Join in if you wish or at least get a good spot to watch the parades. Michael and I were fortunate to get two spots from the balcony at Chi's to watch the last Parade. The entire evening was awesome including the fact we had to walk back to the what was then Caribe Blue, now Blue Angel Resort. Fuhgetabot finding a taxi. Also, of diving the next morning, prepare for a delay as the tank people may not be on task yet. Our crew was ready, the tanks were not. No worries, just relax and go with the flow!

This will be our 4th Carnaval and 13th total to Cozumel, it can be a little shocking if you are use to traveling there in low season. First of all it is a blast, the street food and beer tents (25 peso liters of Sol) are fantastic. Stake out a seat for the parades early if you want to be able to see. The first two nights we will be watching from street level, the Fat Tuesday parade we all got a room at Vista del Mar to hang out in and watch. Mostly have fun.

While we usually stay in town, during Carnaval we learned to book a place out of the Centro area - it can be VERY noisy into the wee hours for the whole week. Tough if you are getting up early to go dive. Friends who $pend to $tay at El Cantil were not happy during Carnaval, as it backs up to Melgar. Otherwise, it's a total blast to share in the festivities. There are booths that sell stuff - beads, masks etc... that support worthy charities. Spend, dance and have fun!

This will be our 4th Carnaval and 13th total to Cozumel, it can be a little shocking if you are use to traveling there in low season. First of all it is a blast, the street food and beer tents (25 peso liters of Sol) are fantastic. Stake out a seat for the parades early if you want to be able to see. The first two nights we will be watching from street level, the Fat Tuesday parade we all got a room at Vista del Mar to hang out in and watch. Mostly have fun.

You got a one night room at Vista???? I tried to get one there for the last YEAR for carnival and they claimed none were available. I was going to take it for the 4 days even.

Do you 'know' someone? Will you introduce me?

We are stuck at the 'Cuda all three nights this year.

---------- Post added February 5th, 2014 at 05:48 PM ----------

While we usually stay in town, during Carnaval we learned to book a place out of the Centro area - it can be VERY noisy into the wee hours for the whole week. Tough if you are getting up early to go dive. Friends who $pend to $tay at El Cantil were not happy during Carnaval, as it backs up to Melgar. Otherwise, it's a total blast to share in the festivities. There are booths that sell stuff - beads, masks etc... that support worthy charities. Spend, dance and have fun!

Well you have to stay in the right part of Centro. We are close to the action, but it is quiet around us.

I now know the Cozumel version is rated G. The whole island seems to attend the parade. The parade goes on half the night. Crossing the parade feels like a James Bond movie, when he is always chasing someone through the middle of a mardi gras parade. Crossing the parade in wet clothes and booties after a night dive carrying your wet 45lb dive bag and you have been diving since 9 in the morning and you are starving, not all that romantic or cool. Probably a better plan is to stay on your side of the road and be on a balcony, dry and sucking down marguritas. Also the contest for the king and queen held in the town square a week or two before the parade is better than the parade.

Back
Top Bottom