If you knew then what you know now... (Carnaval)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeltaWardog

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The wife and I are going to be attending our first Carnaval this year, on our 5th trip to Cozumel! I'm curious, and this is to all you Carnaval veterans out there, is there anything you wish you had known that would have made it more fun the first time around? Anything you missed that you don't dare miss now that you know your way around the festivities?

We're really looking forward to it! Appreciate any tips or just cool stories you have. :)

Be prepared to participate. Get a mask, or a costume, or both. Have one too many beers, if you're a beer-loving person. Dance in the parade! There are so many opportunities to actually get in it, in an informal way. the groups who are dancing on the street (i.e. not on a float) are always welcoming to a smiling newcomer. Go to ALL the parades - they're not all the same. Buy some beads, and then give them away to kids. Get some of the eggs filled with confetti, and enjoy smashing them on the heads of your friends.

:D

I learned about those my first carnival. and from behind.....

Man, you missed out- in Texas we had cascarones at all our school festivals. Nothing more fun than smashing eggs on friends.

DeltaWardog, thanks for spelling it correctly!

For our first Carnaval we didn't know alternative routes to get where we needed to go when Melgar or other streets were inaccessible due to parades and preparations. A map is never a bad idea, but during Carnaval it can make the difference between being where you need to be when you need to be there or not making it.

I'm also a fan of doing the cantina crawl, in the costume to get to the parade. Like mstevens says, it can be a mess driving and parking, but if you're walking, or riding your bike in big clown shoes, you'll be fine. You'll also get lots of spanish lessons, and some good old fashioned fun.

Ah, so it was practice for Carnival!

It's actually become kind of a regular thing... cold beer, good botanas (found a place that serves LOBSTERS) and an all around good way to practice some spanglish!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom