If you have to ask, you're not ready to solo......?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
An interesting discussion came up on the backup board that I'd hate to see disappear.

A new diver (5 dives) asked if he should dive solo. A few folks said something along the lines of, "If you have to ask, you're not ready to solo."

That position was questioned quite well

DandyDon:
A few have given that suggestion, but I don't agree. I often ask myself if I'm qualified to do something, should do it, etc, and my responses vary. For some of us, the obvious is not so obvious, and when I was brand new with OW - I had to question everything I did.

Don, I disagree. Solo diving is something you should not attempt if you have even the slightest doubt in your abilities. Solo diving should only be attempted by divers to whom diving is second nature, those who are as comfortable underwater as above. Someone with that level of comfort/confidence is not going to ask anyone if they should be diving solo.

I agree Walter. I didn't ask anyone their opinion before I made my first solo dive... I considered the consequences myself, considered the dive plan myself, and decided that I was capable of doing the dive safely without a partner, and accept the risks if something went wrong.

When you can go through that thought process and have confidence in your decision, you're ready to solo dive.

-B.

So if I have to ask if I'm ready to buy my own gear, I'm not ready?
If I have to ask if I should get a job, I'm not ready?
If I have to ask if I should clean the house, I'm not ready?

Sorry, I don't agree. If they are asking, then they are seeking advice on what to expect when they are alone, what safety measures they should take, what extra safety gear they should have.

I would worry more about the divers that don't ask than the one's that do.

BrianS:

Sorry, I don't agree. If they are asking, then they are seeking advice on what to expect when they are alone, what safety measures they should take, what extra safety gear they should have.

for the most part you are right but I agree with walter. you are told in OW class to dive with buddies. If you come out of class and want to jump in the water alone what did you really learn in class. and if I remember the tread the guy has one OW dive on his own and he had a problem there. it should not have even crossed this guys mind to solo dive.

BrianS:

Not at all. Those activities do not require that level of competence.

I don't know. Which is preferable, the person who calmly evaluates in utter confidence, and then goes and makes a mistake which would have been pointed out by anyone with experience, or the person who realizes he may not know everything, and asks to make sure he isn't missing anything?

There have been a fair number of things in my life that I believed I had thought through thoroughly, only to have someone point out something they saw from a completely different angle, or from different experiences. I'd just as soon have that happen before I get in the water. Or are you saying that, as long as there are ANY things I don't know or haven't thought through, I shouldn't solo?

BrianS:

It's interesting that you chose to ask about 3 things that don't necessarily KILL YOU, if you make a mistake

Perhaps these questions are more on par for a diver with 5 dives:

Should I take my car down to the race track and race it on amatuer night? I've driven 5 times.

Should I take this plane out for a solo trip? I've traveled with a partner 5 times.
===

The questions you intend to display as examples are not representative of the issue.

Walter:
Not at all. Those activities do not require that level of competence.

I am not sure I understand this. Is the premise that if one has to ask one is not competent to dive solo? When you say those activities do not require that level of competence are you saying that for those activities one need not ask? That means by implication are you saying one should ask for activities that require that level of competence????!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure flying requires AT LEAST that amount of competence.
Who determines if the trainee/student pilot has the competence to fly solo? The instructor I presume. So can your instructor determine if you are competent to dive solo?

I always dive with a buddy...

ramsabi:
I am not sure I understand this. Is the premise that if one has to ask one is not competent to dive solo?

The premise is that to be comptent to dive solo, you have an extremely high level of expertise and your dive skills should be second nature, you should be as comfortable underwater as above. If a diver has not reached that level, in various conditions, that diver is not competent to dive solo, IMO.

ramsabi:
When you say those activities do not require that level of competence are you saying that for those activities one need not ask?

I'm saying that buying gear, getting a job and cleaning house are not in any way comparable to diving solo, it's ridiculous to bring them into the conversation.

ramsabi:
That means by implication are you saying one should ask for activities that require that level of competence????!!!!!!!!!!

I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say.

ramsabi:
I am sure flying requires AT LEAST that amount of competence.

I doubt it, but I'm not a pilot and am not qualified to answer, but either way, solo diving and flying are totally different activities.

ramsabi:
Who determines if the trainee/student pilot has the competence to fly solo? The instructor I presume.

Ask on a flying board, I don't know, but my guess is you are correct.

ramsabi:
So can your instructor determine if you are competent to dive solo?

Not in my opinion. In all likelyhood, your instructor isn't competent to dive solo either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom