If you have to ask, you're not ready to solo......?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
I think it is perfectly reasonable to ask.

I do too, but the answer will always be, "no." That's automatic, because if they had the confidence necessary, they wouldn't be asking. The mere question tells me they aren't ready. A different question might be, "I've been diving solo for quite some time. My usual proceedure is ________. Do you see anything I could do to improve?"

catherine96821:
And the answer should be something like "when you have several hundred dives" at least. I had a thousand.

By the time I had 1000 dives, almost 300 of them were solo. Of course, my situation was different as most of those dives took place while working as a DM on a charter boat.

catherine96821:
People know when they are ready, but often they ask before they are ready

Yes, they do and they don't ask. Those who do ask are never ready.

catherine96821:
Although basically what happens when you solo, is that everyone advises you not to, and you do it anyway.

Actually, I've never had a diver (except my original instructor) advise me not to dive solo. I have had lots of non-divers tell me not to solo.

SeaYoda:
If you ask someone else if you are ready, then you are not ready. I seriously asked myself before my first solo dive if I was ready. I still ask myself that question - it helps me to keep the right limitations on my solo diving risks. I don't think anyone can answer for anyone else if they are ready, even to the point of saying how many dives someone should have before their first solo dive. I would advise those who are so confident that they don't ask themselves if they are ready before every dive to get a buddy to dive with, your risk level is a crap-shoot. I would advise anyone needing approval from someone else for soloing to go learn more, you are not ready.

Self evaluation is very important, but a totally separate issue.

I think that one of the biggest considerations you have to take is the environment you are diving in. For instance, I have my first solo planned out for this summer in a small 10 acre lake that I've fished in for many years. I know the max depth is less than 40 feet and I know the what the bottom is like. I will have a spotter on the surface who will be fishing at the time and the main reason I am going down is to kinda do a fish count and explore areas of the lake to make fishing more enjoyable and exciting. I have outlined the risks involved in the dive and have analyzed possible situations. There is a risk of weak monofiliment line (fly fishing tippet no stronger than 5lb test). There is a small risk of snags, but highly doubtful. There is no current or surge to worry about. And the vis is pretty good (don't know for sure but estimating 30ft. or so). As for my experience I know that this would be a great first solo dive. I am OW AOW Rescue and Nitrox certified and by the time I make this dive I will be Altitude certified (lake is at 7000ft). However, I will only have a total of 40 or so total dives under my belt, but about 20+ pool sessiosn in which I practice all of my skills to become second nature.

I know and feel that I am ready to solo this dive if I choose to, but in many other circumstances I would never solo. I don't plan on soloing in the open ocean for a long time and I don't plan on soloing any depth in a lake deeper than 60ft. The reason is too many things can go wrong these different environments. In the ocean I have to take into account Current, Surge, entry and exit, harmful creatures, and the biggest thing is that I will be in the ocean, no one to help/stop me if something happens and I start drifting out. As for dives deeper than 60ft., if I have problems with my reg or any other equipment I won't be able to make an emergency controlled ascent to the surface without a risk of DCI or running out of air. I know that even after working out I can hold my breath for at least 1min 30secs underwater while swimming and that I would be able to maintain a safe ascent rate to the surface. Also, below 60ft I risk entering situations where I need to make a safety stop on every dive. If I am OOA I will not be able to make that safety stop.

Again, I reiterate that circumstance largely depends on whether or not you are ready to solo. In certain circumstances I know that I am ready and comfortable to solo, but others I wouldn't touch with a 10ft. pole.

Actually, I've never had a diver (except my original instructor) advise me not to dive solo. I have had lots of non-divers tell me not to solo.

Oh really? hmmm, could be a double standard for manly men and girrrls.

Walter, you never want to create a climate where people should not ask. I sorta see your point. When I was ready I went "blank them, I am going to just do what I want" Having a taboo climate creates problems. I used to pretend not to see the DM turn the dive, or say I wasn't diving and then, after everyone is gone, get in. THIS IS DANGEROUS AND WRONG. It was sort of subconscious almost. I just started ignoring everyone else to increasing degrees. (I said it's wrong)

You are saying you had 700 dives, I had 1000. Personal opinion is that it is somewhere after 500, around 500, for most intelligent, physical people with plenty of experience around the ocean. Part of it in, my opinion is not diving. Understanding the awesome power and fickle nature of the sea. Diving solo with a captain trailing your bubbles and marker...is, well.....not as solo as kyaking or shore diving where currents can switch unpredicatably. For me, this is the most formidible danger, not OOA, etc.

I never shore dive solo. To me, this is a whole nother thing, especially in Hawaii. Caribbean..maybe, not here.

Solo diving makes you think and asses risk at a whole new level. This style of thinking goes further, IMO to keeping you alive than any other single thing, right down to "should I get on this boat, with these people?" It starts from that point. I size up the captain on a drift. Is he alert? Is he distracted? Doe he want to go troll for fish, take a nap, on the phone? Does he have fuel? Is he chewing beetle nut? It is an automatic, every step of the way, new level of alertness. If the answer is yes, I may still go, but I factor it in , and make sure I am on his radar, have a SMB, ....maybe don't assume as much, etc.

I haven’t read all of the replies in this thread yet but I for one am a firm believer that when it comes to Solo Diving if you have to ask your not ready.

It has more to do with what’s going on in your head than anything. A person can have all the training the world can offer and not be ready. They could appear to be cool calm and collected on the outside giving the appearance they are ready. But inside they are terrified and might even be on the verge of panic when they hit the water.

There is only one person that can make the final decision to go solo or not and that is the person doing or getting ready to do it.

Gary D.

catherine96821:
Oh really? hmmm, could be a double standard for manly men and girrrls.

Or perhaps it's my reputation for biting off heads? I'm a grumpy old fart.

Seriously, I think it has to do with how someone perceives you and your experience in relation to their own. Non-divers usually know I'm a diver. They've heard you shouldn't dive alone. When they hear I dive alone, they point it out, in case I didn't know. Of course, some of these same people call me every time they hear about a shark biting a surfer. Most divers have far less experience than me and know it. I suspect they are reluctant to try to correct my bad habits. Divers with more experience than me, usually recognize that I'm far enough along to make such decisions and leave me alone.

OTOH, you could be right, girls should never dive solo.

catherine96821:
Walter, you never want to create a climate where people should not ask. I sorta see your point. When I was ready I went "blank them, I am going to just do what I want" Having a taboo climate creates problems. I used to pretend not to see the DM turn the dive, or say I wasn't diving and then, after everyone is gone, get in. THIS IS DANGEROUS AND WRONG. It was sort of subconscious almost. I just started ignoring everyone else to increasing degrees. (I said it's wrong)

Generally, I agree.

catherine96821:
You are saying you had 700 dives, I had 1000. Personal opinion is that it is somewhere after 500, around 500, for most intelligent, physical people with plenty of experience around the ocean.

I didn't say I started at 700. My first solo dives, were dives I didn't recognize as solo. The first time I ever dived solo was my 10th dive. I was on Theo's wreck off Freeport with more experienced divers (John & Georgia) with much better air consumption. The dive plan called for me to ascend solo when I reached 1000 PSI (I think it was 1000, it was decades ago). Looking back, that was a poor plan, I was not ready to be on my own. My second solo dive (#20) wasn't planned that way, it was to be a group dive with no assigned buddies. I now know that group dives with no assigned buddies are actually solo dives in disguise. This one was more so than usual because when we got in the water, we discovered we were in black water. I literally could not see my hand against my mask. I actually started planning to dive solo with dive 65 when I was interning on a dive boat in the Keys. Since then, my solo dives have been scattered through out my dives with buddies. Sometimes the % is high, sometimes low. I'm pushing 500 solo dives (482 to be exact) now. I don't agree with your arbitrary 500 dive experience level. While I still learn from dives, my skills and dive judgement are now improving very slowly, While I think I was a better diver at 500 dives than I was at 200, I wasn't that much better.

I'm starting to seriously question my diving of late. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but it is.

catherine96821:
Part of it in, my opinion is not diving. Understanding the awesome power and fickle nature of the sea. Diving solo with a captain trailing your bubbles and marker...is, well.....not as solo as kyaking or shore diving where currents can switch unpredicatably. For me, this is the most formidible danger, not OOA, etc.

I agree, but that can come with diving, if you pay attention.

catherine96821:
I never shore dive solo. To me, this is a whole nother thing, especially in Hawaii. Caribbean..maybe, not here.

Why?

catherine96821:
Solo diving makes you think and asses risk at a whole new level. This style of thinking goes further, IMO to keeping you alive than any other single thing, right down to "should I get on this boat, with these people?" It starts from that point. I size up the captain on a drift. Is he alert? Is he distracted? Doe he want to go troll for fish, take a nap, on the phone? Does he have fuel? Is he chewing beetle nut? It is an automatic, every step of the way, new level of alertness. If the answer is yes, I may still go, but I factor it in , and make sure I am on his radar, have a SMB, ....maybe don't assume as much, etc.

One reason I believe women often become better divers than men is they are used to finessing things, using their minds to solve problems instead of trying to muscle their way through. None of us are strong enough to over power the ocean. Women often realize this sooner.

Gary D.:
I haven’t read all of the replies in this thread yet but I for one am a firm believer that when it comes to Solo Diving if you have to ask your not ready.

It has more to do with what’s going on in your head than anything. A person can have all the training the world can offer and not be ready. They could appear to be cool calm and collected on the outside giving the appearance they are ready. But inside they are terrified and might even be on the verge of panic when they hit the water.

There is only one person that can make the final decision to go solo or not and that is the person doing or getting ready to do it.

Gary D.

Speaking of folks with lots more experience than me.............when are you coming back for a visit? You are missed!

Gary, I also believe someone can be ready to solo and make lots, even hundreds of solo dives then come to a personal crisis and no longer be someone who should solo. That condition can be as passing phase or permanent.

Most divers have far less experience than me and know it. I suspect they are reluctant to try to correct my bad habits. Divers with more experience than me, usually recognize that I'm far enough along to make such decisions and leave me alone.

Not so for me....I get a pat on the head and told what to do by the Instructor that finished up last month...so You have to get devious or have a big mouth...I usually try and alternate. Note what an old chick I must be...certed in '75!

If anyone is doing solo diving, and is unaware of the fact, that is a problem.

Shore diving is different here, we have huge volcanic rocks and pounding surf you don't have in Florida. I grew up all over that place, so don't argue with me you grumpy old fart....you have mangroves, swamps, and gators. Florida is a cakewalk compared to this place.

catherine96821:

Catherine,
Is JB active duty and overseas? If he his, from one Marine to another, Semper Fi and be careful.

catherine96821:
Not so for me....I get a pat on the head and told what to do by the Instructor that finished up last month...so You have to get devious or have a big mouth...I usually try and alternate. Note what an old chick I must be...certed in '75!

Kick their 18 year old butts and set 'em straight.

catherine96821:
If anyone is doing solo diving, and is unaware of the fact, that is a problem.

Agreed.

catherine96821:
Shore diving is different here, we have huge volcanic rocks and pounding surf you don't have in Florida. I grew up all over that place, so don't argue with me you grumpy old fart....you have mangroves, swamps, and gators. Florida is a cakewalk compared to this place.

Argue? What did you see that could be considered arguing? I merely asked "why?" I asked why because I know I have zero experience in Hawaii. I'm trying to learn from you, my dear.

Back
Top Bottom