If you have to ask, you're not ready to solo......?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Walter and captain. I could never presume that I'm qualified to tell anyone that they are ready to solo, as has been said, it is a very personal decision. There are however, a lot of divers I would tell they are NOT ready to solo.

mudchick:
what training is available, keeping im mind the previous posts on training, or lack thereof. Is it just taking every course available?

It's a mind set and an attitude as well as creative thinking more than any class. Learning rescue techniques is certainly helpful. More than taking classes, it's the ability to think things through on your own.

Diving solo isn't substantially different from diving with a buddy. It does mean you are not responsible for someone else, but also you can't depend on someone else to pull your cookies out of the fire either. While redundancy in gear is a very good idea, it's not necessary. More crucial than redundancy is to not be dependent on gear. What if your regulatpr shuts down? Practice gear failures. Practice multiple gear failures. Can you deal effectively with any two peices of gear failing at the same time? If you're planning to dive solo, I hope so. Can you dive without a BC? Not only can I drop my weight belt, I can drop my SCUBA unit in less than two seconds. It's important to have the ability and the confidence in that ability to get yourself safely out of anything that you can imagine going wrong.

Thanks very much for your input on this Walter instead of just saying "just don't". This gives me a direction and concepts to consider as I make my way and education in this way. I know I have a long way to get there but that's half the fun. :D

As Walter said it really isn't so much about the training as it is the mindset and alot of that comes with experience and not just number of dives experience. It has to do with the conditions you are comfortable in, do you know your gear and how it works in those conditions? Do you have the skills and knowledge to handle problems that may arise. Are you willing to put your life in your own hands? Many people say "yeah of course I do it every day." But do they really? In some cases sure but when it comes to diving are you confident enough that you have the knowledge to get yourself out of a situation you would normally rely on a buddy to help with? Redundancy may not be necessary for everyone but I like having that extra 19cuft of gas under my arm. That third light may be small but it is there and out of the way until I need it. I keep track of times and depth so that if my computer craps out I can still dive the rest of the day with tables if I choose to. All of this contributes to my mindset that tells me I'm ok, I can do this, and I can enjoy the experience.

Back
Top Bottom