If working, do you ever need to replace dive computer (Aeris Atmos 1)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you say there were differences in the algorithms, did you mean between DSAT and PZ+, or between 300Gs and Veo 4s both running DSAT?

The former is expected with PZ+ being more conservative than DSAT. The differences for air dives can be seen on pp 56-57 of your Veo 4 owner's manual. The DSAT NDLs have not changed over time.

I meant that there were differences between DSAT (Aeris 300G hose console) vs. PZ+ (Oceanic Veo 4.0 right wrist) on the same dive. As you pointed out, it was expected.

FWIW on a couple of dives we compared them it to my instructor's Suunto (IIRC D series watch) running RGBM. For the few dives we compared in the 40'-100' NDL rec diving range (1 or 2 tank w/ 1 hr SI) there were obviously differences in the 3 algos calculated NDLs. For the small sample size of vacation diving we were doing, the differences were not huge, maybe a few minutes.

I meant that there were differences between DSAT (Aeris 300G hose console) vs. PZ+ (Oceanic Veo 4.0 right wrist) on the same dive. As you pointed out, it was expected.

FWIW on a couple of dives we compared them it to my instructor's Suunto (IIRC D series watch) running RGBM. For the few dives we compared in the 40'-100' NDL rec diving range (1 or 2 tank w/ 1 hr SI) there were obviously differences in the 3 algos calculated NDLs. For the small sample size of vacation diving we were doing, the differences were not huge, maybe a few minutes.
Though I do not have personal experience, it's my impression that on a 1st, clean dive, Suunto RGBM runs very similarly to PZ+. As long as you have a minimum SI (about an hour) and have no other algorithm violations, it probably continues to run like this.

Suuntos are pretty common in SE FL where our SIs are often shorter than an hour, probably an average of 45 min. I have seen shorter NDLs in this case. Cressi, Mares, and Suunto computers are most commonly implicated when we find a diver "accidently" in violation gauge mode.

Suuntos are pretty common in SE FL where our SIs are often shorter than an hour, probably an average of 45 min. I have seen shorter NDLs in this case. Cressi, Mares, and Suunto computers are most commonly implicated when we find a diver "accidently" in violation gauge mode.

(Speaking of Cressi Leo) 45 minutes is fine if you don't do more than 2 dives in a row: you'll see NDLs less than "99" but it's not that hard to not overstay them. 3 dives before lunch w/ 40-ish-minute SIs is how you make it unhappy.

No reverse or sawtooth profile.

If you're asking me, it certainly likes long slow ascents, as in following the bottom all the way to waist-deep. Coming straight up from 25 to 5 metres and sitting there for mere 3 minutes: not so much.

There is some amount of up-and-down on our typical reef dive but that doesn't seem to matter, or maybe is not enough "sawtoothing". We don't really do "reverse profiles" that I'd notice anything: sometimes I may go deeper on the 2nd dive, but slow ascents and 1-hr SIs seem to matter more than that.

How accurate are those quoted 'restriction"?
What happened if it is violated(single one)? Shorter dive time(ndl)?

Reverse profiles and carrying "repetitive" dive to over 36 hours (or whatever it is) is likely bogus. "Bubble formation" stuff is theoretical, there may be something to it but if the Simple Stupid model works just as well, why bother.

You get shorter NDL on subsequent dives, yes.

Is there any reason why I'd need (not want :wink:) to replace a dive computer from a safety perspective (assuming it meets all my needs and is functional/reliable)?

I didn't have to replace mine, but I did for the larger, easier to read, better backlit numbers (that's my reason; it's heck getting older) - everything else that makes the computer better than what I had was just a bonus.

I still have a couple of SeaQuest / Suunto Solutions, which date from 1992-3, which are still in fine working order -- save for the fact that they pre-dated the wider use of nitrox by a couple of years, and can only be used with air . . .
I still have a couple of these too. No idea when I last did a battery change on them. They consume so little energy and use a much larger 1/2 AA battery. Reminds me how the original small mobile phones circa 2000 like the Motorola 550 or Nokia 3310 wouldn't need to be charged for over a week.

I also sometimes still use an Uwatec Aladin Air Z circa 2008. I recently discovered one of my staff had put it in the museum section of the shop!

Attachments

• Uwatec.JPG
    Uwatec.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 49
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom