If I dive at 150ft+/45m+ in water temps in 35f/-1c can I get away with a cheap $100 Xs octopus. Or should my octopus also be balanced at that depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw your other thread, about Deep6. Get two identical Signature 2nd stages, one for your primary and one for your backup ("octopus"). I'm willing to bet the vast majority of us experienced (ha!) divers have identical primary and backup 2nd stages. Pinching pennies on a backup you may have to rely on someday is silly. The last thing you want when you're in an already stressful situation is to notice that breathing has become more annoying. Rather, you want to switch to a reg that feels familiar.

edited to add: Never mind about the depth and temperature. Almost irrelevant to the basic issue of whether a backup reg that is of lower quality but more economical is a good idea.

No.

Details provided when you take proper instruction to dive that deep.
That deep and that cold there are bigger planning issues than if you should cheap out on a regulator.

Just wondering if my octopus can be a cheap $100 backup at that depth and temp.
Technically it "could" be, you could also technically do it with just one.. but as stated neither is a good choice.

Also.. don't use the word cheap.. you'll catch a lot of flack for that (ask me how I know🤣🤣)

Someone mentioned Deep 6. I run all Deep 6 (signature) and have been super happy. Not the "least expensive" anymore but about the best bang for your buck you can get. It's that sweet spot of affordable and practical. Great company to deal with also.

If you dive in those temperatures you need more redundancy then an octo, you need 2 first stages. Doubles, SM or atleast a H-valve. A free flow isn’t that uncommon at freezing temps.

Keep in mind the situation surrounding the eventual use of the back-up regulator.

Stressed diver, with no gas/problem with own quipment coming to you for gas.
Stress causes increased breath work and increased demand on your regulator.
With this in mind, my personal opinion is that the back-up regulator should be of equal or better quality.

Also keep in mind that sub 0 temperatures also causes strain on first stages, so your first stages also need to be of good quality.

There should be no such a thing as a "cheap octopus".
I always use two identical hi-spec second stages, and I swap using them during the dive.
Of course they are fed by two identical independent first stages, connected to two separate posts and two separate valves.
When you need your secondary reg, it means that the other is out of service, so you need a fully independent, equally- good alternate.
And if you are using the secondary for giving air to your buddy, you definitely do not want that a single first stage needs to deliver twice the normal air flow, as this will easily cause it to freeze in cold water.
So the correct setup is two fully independent, identical complete regs. My recommendation is two Scubapro MK17evo and two G260. But I am partial on the brand choice...

Maybe gather your questions into one thread? At least all your regulator questions.

BTW, 45m is beyond recreational limits. Equipment and configurations suitable for technical diving may not be the optimum choice for recreational diving.
This depends on agency.
My recreational Cmas *** allows for 50m with deco.
Bsac is similar...

Back
Top Bottom