Identify Weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marek K

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, you old-timers...

We haven't used our own weights in about 25 years, and spent the last decade using kilograms in Europe. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

We're going to the pool next weekend to do some equipment checks and drills, and I want to take the weights we've had since the mid-80's. They're coated vinyl, but bullet-shaped; the weight belt threaded through the slit down the middle of the weights. They don't seem to be sold anymore:

IMG_0676.jpg

Trouble is, I can't remember for sure how many pounds (yes, they're pounds) each one is. Using the bathroom scale, nearest I can figure is, respectively, 5, 3, and 2 lb.

Is that correct?

Why do I seem to remember the smallest ones being 1 lb? Or that smaller than scuba weights normally come in?

I own a pair of uncoated one-pound bullets (central slot, like yours) and they are 3" long by 1" across. And you're right, one-poinders are rare.

Your smallest looks a deal thicker and longer than 1 by 3, so 2 pounds is probably correct.

-Bryan

Your smallest looks a deal thicker and longer than 1 by 3, so 2 pounds is probably correct.

Yeah, these are all 3-1/2" high x 1-1/2" thick. the smallest are 1-1/2" wide, not counting the flange around the slit. So looks like they are indeed 2 lb.

Hmmm... I just found some uncoated weights in the garage, too, all marked "3" (lb). They're a bit flatter, longer, and narrower than the middle of the coated weights, but look and feel like they're the same weight:

IMG_0677.jpg

Could be, but last time I checked (OK, it's been a couple of years) they still made the bullet style.

Back
Top Bottom