Identify Lift Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zeN||

Reaction score
Bought a nifty rubber (sealed) lift bag, heavy yellow rubber, which is activated by an 8 gm co2 cartridge, that inserts into one end of the bag, however I didn't get any info on the manufacturer of this bag, wonder if anyone else owns this type, which I purchased at LDS for $40, I am trying to find an alternative source to purchase the 8 gm co2 cartridges, as the LDS is charging $3.95 for ONE cartridge Thanxs, zeN

Zen - is the LDS refusing to identify the make/model of the bag? I would think it would be reasonable to ask what you have...

alot of inflatable life vests made for ocean racing and sailing use the same type of CO2 cartridges. try a good marine supply and the price may be less, especially if you buy a quantity. they may come packed 6 in a box...etc

Dacor used to make a float like you describe in both single and dual cartridge (one at each end) versions. I suspect they just marketed them and were not the manfacturer. I have not seen one since the mid 80's and used mine until it rotted. They were great for spearfishing in addition to using for markers.

You can also check the local hobby store as the same 8 gram cartride is used to power Co2 motors for small co2 powered aircraft (another antiquated but fun use) as well as for other hobby aplications.

I'd love to see this type of float redsigned in a larger size to use the 12 gram cartidges available cheap at wal-mart for CO2 powered pellet guns.

It may be a situation where the LDS is selling you a new old stock float as I would be surprised if they are still made. If they are back in production, or if he has more, I'd love to buy one.

If you're considering buying CO2 cartriges online, be sure to double-check the shipping.
I suspect they may qualify for hazmat handling, a $15-$20 surcharge on top of the actual shipping cost.

Got a pic of the bag?
If its the one DA Aquamaster's talking about, I had one of the double enders, kept it secured in place of a chest strap (that I never used).
I used it as an emergency float (pre-BC days) 'till the Navy was kind enough to donate a UDT vest .:wink:

Thanx for the input guys, there was no brand info on the bag when I bought it, Atticus (is that last name Finch?), DA seems like this rubber does rot, I actually took a used float temporarily from the shop until new stock arrived because the one I looked at had a break in the rubber, didn't seem like there was a problem reordering these, seemed like a cool float for spearfishing/marking/light salvage, though I found the 8mm cartridge didn't blow the bag up completely, stoopid of them to design an 8gm cartridge instead of the cheaper more available 12 gm cartridges,
I'll post the availabilty next time I go to my LDS cheers :) zeN

zeN,
I'm new to scubaboard, but long time diver. I too would like to know where you acquired the floats - please let me know. My friend has two that sound like what you have and they are from Dacor, but who knows who manufactured them for Dacor.
Thanks,
Tim

If you hadn't realized it yet... you can use/buy the Seltzer Bottle Cartridges (a little less than 8gms) for the 12"/smaller Dacor popper/lift bag... I have been buying these for years at the local liquor store or sometimes they have them at the local Albertson's Grocery Store.

Can't remember exactly how much they cost, but I believe the last time I bought them they were sold in a box of 10 for under $20.

Thanks,
Fishbone :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom