Idea to back up my wireless PSI transmitter. penny for your thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Imback

New
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Suunto Vytek wrist mount computer with a wireless PSI transmitter. While im not really all that worried about something going wrong, I thought it nice to have a way to know what my tank is doing in the unlikely event that my transmitter craps out on me. I have had an instance where my computer didnt pair correctly. I hopped in the water off of a boat, got to the bottom, and my computer was flashing fail in place of the PSI readout. (its awsome when your computer is telling you that you fail). I dont want to put a console with an analog gauge on a hose because that defeats the purpose of a wireless wrist mount.

My Idea:

Using a mini Pony gauge, and Placing it in the second HP port on my first stage. They are inexpensive and it would still keep me stream lined (Keeping in mind that this is only ment for redundancy in case my transmitter fails). My buddy would then be able to read the pressure in my tank and I wouldnt have to end the dive, or worse, an entire dive trip. If I decide this seems reasonable, the only issue is the location of the HP port will make the gauge difficult to read, does anyone know if the make a 90 degree elbo for HP ports/hoses?

Let me know what you think.

The answers that you're most likely to get are:

* This is the reason why most people opt for analog gauges.

* A gear failure means the end of the dive, continuing with a button gauge that only your buddy can read is unacceptable (what if you you get seperated).

* 90* elbows just add another potential failure point.

If you're determined to keep the wireless, I'd suggest that you take an analog gauge w/hose on trips with you. In the event of a failure, you can call the dive, switch out your transmitter with the hose and gauge and continue with your trip.

How about chuck the transmitter and get a normal glass+brass gauge that even when it breaks generally still works good enough to finish the dive? Relying on your buddy to relay from a mini-gauge how much gas you have left is a recipe for miscommunication and disaster.

edit: or as cave diver says, at least bring a spare normal gauge+hose along on trips.

I use integrated air transmitter for the primary reason that I am a computer geek and like the information recorded. The ease of everything on my wrist is really nice.

I use a normal brass n glass pressure gauge as redundancy and it is observed before entering the water (3 breaths to make sure the tank is open) prior to the commencement of ascent from a "deeper" dive. Otherwise it is tucked away neatly under my waistband on my BCD so that it is completely out of the way during the dive.

IMHO the hose-less technology is not bullet proof yet, so the redundancy (for me) is not optional.

If you are absolutely set on reducing hoses, you could get a techie to show you how to do it yourself, you could carry the pressure gauge and hose in your dive bag and in the event of a failure of the computer pressure, attach the hose to your reg-set yourself.

Best Regards
Richard

(Edit/PS: Sorry rjack321; I only saw your cave diver comment after I posted)

edit: or as cave diver says, at least bring a spare normal gauge+hose along on trips.

If you are absolutely set on reducing hoses, you could get a techie to show you how to do it yourself, you could carry the pressure gauge and hose in your dive bag and in the event of a failure of the computer pressure, attach the hose to your reg-set yourself.

Best Regards
Richard

(Edit/PS: Sorry rjack321; I only saw your cave diver comment after I posted)

At least we all agree. :)

At least we all agree. :)

OMG !!!

OK, I really need to have 2 cups of coffee in the morning before responding to anything on the ScubaBoard!!

Kettle = on

Best Regards
Richard

I have a Suunto Vytek wrist mount computer with a wireless PSI transmitter. While im not really all that worried about something going wrong, I thought it nice to have a way to know what my tank is doing in the unlikely event that my transmitter craps out on me. I have had an instance where my computer didnt pair correctly. I hopped in the water off of a boat, got to the bottom, and my computer was flashing fail in place of the PSI readout. (its awsome when your computer is telling you that you fail). I dont want to put a console with an analog gauge on a hose because that defeats the purpose of a wireless wrist mount.

My Idea:

Using a mini Pony gauge, and Placing it in the second HP port on my first stage. They are inexpensive and it would still keep me stream lined (Keeping in mind that this is only ment for redundancy in case my transmitter fails). My buddy would then be able to read the pressure in my tank and I wouldnt have to end the dive, or worse, an entire dive trip. If I decide this seems reasonable, the only issue is the location of the HP port will make the gauge difficult to read, does anyone know if the make a 90 degree elbo for HP ports/hoses?

Let me know what you think.

...as already mentioned...think about your idea for a minute...can you really swivel your head around 360 degrees like that demon-possessed girl in the 'Exorcist' movie ? ...if the answer to that question is 'no'....then lose the 'button' guage plan !

Second thought......why is it better to put a button guage/hose on the reg versus installing a regular small SPG/hose combo on the reg ? Heck, you've still gotta use a hose no matter which option you use....plus if you're in a hurry and if you or your buddy needs to do a quick gas check it's way easier to see a 'real' SPG, especially in low vis/low light conditions.......kinda like the difference between trying to see one of those 'chicklet' sized dive computer/watches versus a realisticlly sized computer...a pain in the *ss to read, especially in less-than-ideal conditions!

...about the HP 1st-stage 90-degree elbow......sure, they make 'em.....I use a number of them on my verious assorted regs...but these days you can get one of those new , super-bendy MIFLEX HP hoses they just came out with, so forget about the 'elbow'....more complexity/O-rings/failure points.

Just get a regular, small SPG (I use the Halcyon ones), and a regular/ real-world-usable length MIFLEX HP hose, and clip it off a D-ring (I clip mine off on my left-side waist D-ring) so it stows/parks neatly.....heck, I don't even have to unclip mine to read it as the SPG swivels so I can just reach down, rotate the face towards me and read it whenever ! ....also, if another diver, especially a rent a buddy, wants to do a quick gas-spot check on me...it really easy for anyone to spot/understand/ read my 'regular' SPG.

Imback, Not a good idea. I also use the Suunto Vytec (have two of them) and have a real love/hate relationship with them. I have had frequent problems with linking the transmitter and have learned to carry a back up brass and glass analog gauge. Problems with the computer linking will be reduced if you follow start-up sequence and don't vary: turn on computer first, wait until you see "set c", then slowly turn on gas while wrist unit is held near the transmitter. If gas is on first my computer sometimes links, sometimes doesn't. The instructions are difficult to follow - too many paragraphs when a few precise words would do. Good luck with the thing - I sympathize.

i have a suunto D9. i always have a brass and glass gauge as a backup, and check it throughout the dive to make sure that the two agree. i love my hoseless computer!! however, i have had it fail to sync once and was damn glad i had the back up. the only downside to going by gauges only was that i didn't have previous dive information to calculate remaining bottom time, so i had to be really conservative. but, i think hoseless computer are a great convenience especially when lugging around a lot of photography gear.

Here is another way of looking at things, out of vogue but valid nonetheless, if it needs to be backed up, requires redundancy, cannot be trusted to function--take it and toss it into the trash can and get something that works and can stand on it's own. In this case, a B&G spg.

N, minimalism

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom