Idea to back up my wireless PSI transmitter. penny for your thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a Vyper Air Hoseless AI Computer.

The transmitter is on a HP Quick Disconnect at the first stage (no hose).

The other HP Port does have a pony gauge installed but that's just so I can get my gear all ready and confirm cylinder pressure with out turning on the Dive Computer.

If the Transmitter fails then I have a spare SPG/Depth Gauge on a quick Disconnect that will get installed in place of the transmitter.

..... and it's about managing risks, not taking them. Everyone has to make their own determination on what level of risk they're willing to accept .....

Agreed, that is the crux of the matter, managing/mitigating risks.

I would add understanding/evaluating of the risk(s). I have been guilty in the past of making decisions regarding equipment layout before consulting with others and then realising later that it may not have been the smartest move.

As it turns out, this forum/board provides a very valuable resource to talk about and get perspective on exactly these matters.

Best Regards
Richard

So you wouldn't recommend a backup light? And you should only dive with a single regulator? And never dive doubles?

Usually don't need a light and if I did one is enough, I always use only one regulator and my doubles are all single outlet.

Put a pony gauge on your primary and don't look back......:)

As others have said it is great for topside so you (or the poor DM candidate filling the tanks) can read pressure without sync..........

Use a larger 3/4" style, those are easy to read............see pic.........I have one on my pony it is great.....

If you loose your reading underwater, your buddy can read your pressure if needed, but you are thumbing the dive anyway and going directly to the surface.......slowly in a controlled manner of course with all applicable stops......

El Orans recently had a failed B&G SPG.........everything can fail.........

A spare gauge in your save-a-dive kit.......I carry a complete spare reg set, advantage of having a family of divers there is always extra gear..........

M

Attachments

• BLRPPG.jpg
    BLRPPG.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 60
I bit the bullet and added the 'brass and glass'. One extra hose and a small gauge are good insurance. I had to scrub a dive after the crew used my transmitter as a handle to assist with gear transport. The transmitter became slightly disengaged and was not providing an accurate reading.

Lessons learned:
1. Discuss proper gear / equipment handling with the crew
2. I do not want to scrub a dive because the transmitter is not corresponding with my wrist
3. There are certain aspects of equipment redundancy that make good sense (i.e. octo and knowing how much air you have)

vanessar

My thought was that a computer failure was not just a loss of pressure reading.......but a loss of computer period..........

A pony gauge would tell you how much air you have, just your buddy would need to read it for you..............I never solo dive.................

I have also seen my share of gauges and consoles being bashed around a dive boat........

If you carry a pressure gauge anyway, then skip the AI and buy two non-AI computers that way you have a backup, I look at my air pressure a fraction as much as what I look at my depth and time......which is why I have wrist mounted computers........

M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom