Idea for accountability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the systems I have seen consists of recording the time when they enter the water, and the time when they exit; and works as a nice reference to see what your surface interval has been.

NWGratefulDiver:
Most operators around here use a simple system. It consists of a clipboard and paper. On the paper you write the buddy teams, and the starting gas pressure for each diver. When the diver boards the boat after the dive, you write their ending pressure.

One glance at the clipboard tells you whether someone's missing or not. The boat doesn't leave till everyone's ending pressure is recorded.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

While I certainly do not disagree with a system for tracking whether divers have returned to the boat, I see absolutely no reason to provide anyone except for my buddy with my gas pressure, either starting or ending.

I provide the operator with my planned bottom time and run times. I don't see any particular reason for them to require anything more.

A simple clipboard system identifying each diver, their entry time and whether they have exited the water is perfectly sufficient to track divers. Anything more is unwarranted babysitting, IMHO.

Northeastwrecks:
A simple clipboard system identifying each diver, their entry time and whether they have exited the water is perfectly sufficient to track divers. Anything more is unwarranted babysitting, IMHO.
This assumes the guy with the clipboard is competent.

I agree with NEW. The tag systems are hunky dory- except for the fact that I now have to find a place to keep it, and remember to return it- and if it's on a clip, manage not to mistake it for a piece of gear I actually NEED at some point in time. Clipboard procedures work fine- when used correctly. Roll call works even better to verify that everyone is back on board. As for the deckhand (I hesitate to call them a DM- if they aren't certified, insured, and actively guiding- they are a DECKHAND) or captain needing my starting and ending pressure- that's as ludicrous as once being told that I couldn't dive because I had no console (I dive an SPG and wrist mounted instrumentation).

cornfed:

That's certainly true. However, if they person accounting for the divers is an idiot, then whatever system you've got will fail. Even a tag system will fail if an idiot ignores it.

CD raises good points. I'm not going to clip a tag off on my harness. At best, its going in my right pocket. Most likely, its going on my gearbag (right next to my DAN emergency information tag). When I'm on an SI, I'm far more likely to be checking my gear, having a snack or engaging in doing something other than worrying about my tag.

Northeastwrecks:
While I certainly do not disagree with a system for tracking whether divers have returned to the boat, I see absolutely no reason to provide anyone except for my buddy with my gas pressure, either starting or ending.

I provide the operator with my planned bottom time and run times. I don't see any particular reason for them to require anything more.

It's not a matter of "babysitting" ... it's simply that something "unique" like your ending pressure assures that you're the one giving the information.

You're reading way too much into the system than is intended.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

cornfed:

Actually, it isn't safe to assume anyone's competent ... except, of course, for the DIR techies. Maybe we should just disallow anyone to either dive or work on a boat until their full tech certified ... DIR, of course (since we all know the other agencies can't train competent divers).

Sheesh ... you guys are a tough bunch ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
It's not a matter of "babysitting" ... it's simply that something "unique" like your ending pressure assures that you're the one giving the information.

You're reading way too much into the system than is intended.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I understand it better. However, is there a huge problem with people answering to the wrong name? I'd think that a simple announcement that divers should not answer for their buddies would handle that.

Besides, since I always know my buddies' ending pressures, requesting it wouldn't stop me from answering.

The goal is laudable. The execution is a bit too complicated for my liking.

Besides, I'm not really sure that the operators will want to know my tank pressures. I can see some operators getting a bit nervous when I come up from a relatively shallow dive with "full" 104's. :crafty:

BTW, you're the first one to bring up the DIR techies thing. Its got nothing to do with that and you know it. Its whether the boat is well organized and properly staffed.

Northeastwrecks:
I understand it better. However, is there a huge problem with people answering to the wrong name? I'd think that a simple announcement that divers should not answer for their buddies would handle that.

Besides, since I always know my buddies' ending pressures, requesting it wouldn't stop me from answering.

The goal is laudable. The execution is a bit too complicated for my liking.

Besides, I'm not really sure that the operators will want to know my tank pressures. I can see some operators getting a bit nervous when I come up from a relatively shallow dive with "full" 104's. :crafty:

BTW, you're the first one to bring up the DIR techies thing. Its got nothing to do with that and you know it. Its whether the boat is well organized and properly staffed.

Different type of diving calls for different approaches. I'm talking charters who drop rec divers off on reefs ... not cavers who overfill their cylinders and plan hours-long deco obligations.

Having a properly staffed and trained boat can often mean devising systems that accommodates people who are recreationally trained, with logical assumptions about what these people know and don't know.

As for your question ... check back a few weeks ago when a guy was left at sea for 5-1/2 hours off the coast of CA and picked up by a bunch of Boy Scouts on a sailboat. The guy's buddies answered affirmative when the DM called out his name at the end of the dive. I guess they thought it was funny ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Actually, it isn't safe to assume anyone's competent ... except, of course, for the DIR techies. Maybe we should just disallow anyone to either dive or work on a boat until their full tech certified ... DIR, of course (since we all know the other agencies can't train competent divers).

Sheesh ... you guys are a tough bunch ...

For the second time *today*... you're reading to much into this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom