Icediving TEC or REC?

How do you rate Icediving?

• Technical

Votes: 45 48.9%
  • Recreational

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Advanced Technical

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • The division between Rec & Tec is artificial and useless.

Votes: 12 13.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icediver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I am unaware of any of the tec agencies teaching this program. There are lots of things to consider when it comes to this program. Lets see where this thread goes.

T

You left off "insane."
Rick

For the training and specialized equipment that goes into it, I would call it tech diving.

TwoBit

If you're a WWW, ice diving can be as exotic as a moonwalk.
If you're from the frozen tundra states, a chain saw is part of your normal dive kit. :wink:

tip: to modify a chain for cutting ice, the rake teeth are ground way down, or off. Mineral oil is substituted for bar lube, it doesn't hurt the environment & a couple of organic chemists have promised me it won't mess up the latex.

by the dive industry and training agencies does not include diving in an overhead enviornment. That, by itself, makes ice diving technical.

It's rec diving IMHO, yes you are in an overhead environment, but you are tethered to the surface. You (typically) don't dive further than 130' linear feet from the entry point (I think this is within PADI rec limits definition). You do not require a redundant set-up. And if you have a problem you can ascend directly up your tether to the entry point, just like you would on any open water dive - albeit on a bit of an angle.

You should dive with a environmentally sealed 1st stage to prevent freeze up and where I live, that is part of my regular kit - right along with the chain saw. Nothing technical about it. Heck, my first ice dive was in a wet suit.

Pez de Diablo once bubbled...
It's rec diving IMHO, yes you are in an overhead environment, but you are tethered to the surface. You (typically) don't dive further than 130' linear feet from the entry point (I think this is within PADI rec limits definition). You do not require a redundant set-up. And if you have a problem you can ascend directly up your tether to the entry point, just like you would on any open water dive - albeit on a bit of an angle.

You should dive with a environmentally sealed 1st stage to prevent freeze up and where I live, that is part of my regular kit - right along with the chain saw. Nothing technical about it. Heck, my first ice dive was in a wet suit.

In a cave you are "tethered to the surface" too in the sense that you have a continuous line to open water. What's the difference?

R..

Diver0001 once bubbled...

In a cave you are "tethered to the surface" too in the sense that you have a continuous line to open water. What's the difference?

R..

You don't have someone on the end of you spool to pull you out, as you do when ice diving.

It would have to be rec for me. Heck I did my AOW dives under the ice! PADI does not need to know that, but as Pez has stated, being tethered to the surface with people manning the ropes and a devised set of signals makes it pretty idiot proof. Continuous communication is kept while I have done it by tugs for taking up slack or letting some out, or stop. But with that said, the ice up here covers the lakes for about half the year, so it is just a normal part of life for us. Part of learning to dive in the frozen wasteland (along with 0 vis most the time).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom