ice diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why let a medical reason stop you from diving. Just lie on the medical questionare.

What form? I had rotator cuff surgery and I can't move my right arm very well right now.

I don't know where you dive but here in RI there's nobody at the waters edge with forms. I just need a full tank and a car to dive here. Two good arms come in handy too:)!

Last edited:
How about Atomic Aquatics M1? Anyone ever use it under Ice?

I'm sure you can dive it with proper handling but not the optimal solution IMHO. They are pistons and need environmental sealing, Maintaining sealed Atomic costs a fortune as only crystolube will run for 50 bucks or so.

Just wondering why don't you swap your regs...i.e. use the sealed SR1 as your main reg and the Mk25 on the pony. I am feverishly awaiting the arrival of the drysuit I ordered two weeks ago and I also registered for an ice diving course. If the hole is in the shallow, my main gear will be 2 X 117 with a pair of Flathead VI. If on the other hand I go single tank, I intend to use my SR1 set-up.

Well RTee, heres how it "shook" out. I went with the MK25 and a700. Worked fine for the 1st dive. My instructor thought it would be ok to test it out. The hole was in 6' of water and we went out to about 30' to test the whole ice thing. Pretty awesome ! Next dive was training. I started out to do my sweeps and got about 30' again and started to free flow. I gave um the signal I was coming in on my own, breathing on the free flow was a great experience. I had under dressesd my tootsies and needed to heat them up and add a layer. Decided to swap my rig for 1 of my instructors. Apex wins! Did the last 2 dives with that and had no problems. I had my Fusion with 2 layers of thermal, whtes 5 mil gloves and besides the cold feet on the 1st dive was quite warm. My hood was a bit large, so it took some getting used to the massive brain freeze. We are planning to get back in for a longer fun dive now we have it dialed in. My sr1 worked well as a pony, we had to switch out under the ice and had no problems with that one. Good luck on your ice class. We trianed 2 dives in the pool with black out masks. Confidence builder ! Came in handy cause it silted out quick in the shallow water. Mike Morehouse and his crew made it a great experience.

I dive the mk17 and just dove it under the ice this weekend and it worked great. You really are better off with a sealed first stage for ice. Having equipment take a dump on you with an overhead environment is a little to exciting for my tastes. IMHO an unsealed first stage is an unnessesary risk.

Hey hey well done Peacock. The drysuit I am feverishly awaiting....Fusion with tech skin...lol. Should be coming in sometime this week as it left the factory and the diving shop said I should get it the very next day they receive it. Meanwhile I got the jetfins, spring straps, Si-Tech quick dry glove set-up...gloves already done and a 7 foot hose. Can't wait to test the set-up...BTW...The suit will come with MK2 undies but I will wear an moisture wicking thermals underneath. I also intend to bring a pack of hand warmer and foot warmer along and perhaps an extra pack that I can strategically place to keep the tootsies warm and toasted...:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom