Ice Diving in Iowa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I grew up in Spencer. My family still owns property on West Lake Okoboji. (since 1969)

There were some other divers from Sheldon taking the ice diving class from Blue Water Divers, and they way they found out about it was doing a google search for 'ice diving Iowa', the site that came up was SI Scuba in Arlington, TX where I had posted some pictures and reports from previous trips.

Small world.

Randy

I love you guys!
I love my scubaboard family! You guys and girls rock!

Timeliner,
I do it -- because it's a dry suit. Dude, you gotta check one of these things out -- hassles and all :wink:

Alcina,
Question: How did you end up in Australia? Would you recommend it for an aspiring adventurer? I want to experience everything! Especially everything on planet Earth; maybe everything in the Unviverse! I am just about adventure. Period.

My step-grandparents live in Spencer :)

richerso - long story short: was an exchange student in high school; loved Australia; bounced back and forth for a few years; decided I couldn't afford to really keep living on two continents, moved here :D

Yes, it's a huge country and there's something for every taste of adventure. Plan on more than four weeks :wink: If you don't have at least a year, you'll have to keep coming back and back and back and back.

Fair enough. Thanks for the answer :wink:

Any room down there for a competent Mechanical Engineer? :)

Thanks for the trip report and pictures !

Being a native midwest gal (South Dakota) it was like a trip home. (South Dakota looks like Iowa, midwestern towns and all). Really enjoyed the underwater pictures, especially the "ice truck" :)

Excellent report! There’s nothing like diving cold – but under the ice is another whole story. We did 39 degree water up in NY but no ice cover. Where do I sign up for the next one?

Cruiser, thanks for the compliments. If you are interested, I took a tour of Mt. Rushmore, Wyoming, Colorado back in Aug 2007. I have over 1200 photos of pure Midwest Americana!

Bogrady! Talk to TxIceDiver. He's always looking to drag more people under the ice. Randy usually makes one run per year up to Ice Diving territory; usually around late January or early February. I am sure he'd be happy to drag you along next year. Oh! I should mention that Randy is an Ice Diving Instructor so you will get an Ice Diver certfication out of the trip. There aren't too many certified Ice Divers in the world. You will be part of a very elite group. Lotsa fun too!

Glad you had a good time. As my name says i'm from Iowa. But the only diving I have ever done in Iowa is in the summer.

I generally avoid Iowa trips in the winter. Too many variables. Summer is good though.

I didn't see any mention to the under water ice skating. Next time you got to try it.

Here's what you do. When you are ready to end the dive, assend as far as you can from the hole, get inverted fill your bc, stand up (or stand down not sure what to call it) and give four tugs to the rope. Then you just hold on for the ride.
Of coarse you will need to let the tender in on this or he may get a little worked up when you come out of the hole laughing, while he cannot get his breath due to pulling your not so skinny butt out.

I have done this before. It is wild ride. After doing that I know what a hooked fish feels like. :)

I didn't think to do it this time. We will have to this next time we go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom