Ice diving gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great topic. Experienced cold water diver here from Seattle, WA PNW drysuit diver. Every year I venture out to dive in snow conditions. I have dove in 5mm to 7mm wet neoprene gloves in the past. Recently got a new SANTI suit and followed Jill Heinerth’s advice. The 4th element under gloves are really nice. My black rubber chemical gloves from Amazon are durable enough and seal well over the Santi rubber cuff easily with the loading ring procedure. However today diving an altitude lake while snowing with 36 F water was not a working solution. Obviously it’s fairly simple in my case simply not enough internal air gap in my fingers. I simply need to find some thicker under gloves and possibly get the next size up for the rubber chemical glove. Hell of a lot nicer than running wet gloves!

I could have a very toasty core and that is important but if you don’t have enough air gap around your digits your not going to win a battle against ice water unfortunately.

Alternatively one can opt to get a battery operated dive under glove and route the power cable under the drysuit sleeve. However as with any battery warmers once the battery goes flat your back cold. With modern lithium batteries they run times are quite impressive compared to years past.

Cheers, #SeattleRingHunter
Lost Item Recovery Diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom