Ice Diving Extravaganza dates set for Feb 6-9th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uh-huh...and have proper equipment? Like a space heater??

I just have trouble wrapping my mind around 37 F anything being tolerable for longer than walking from the house to the car. Of course, I have trouble thinking that about anything lower than 55 too :)

Pay no attention to Texdiveguy. In 2008, we didn't use the space heater. I was standing outside in the swift breeze trying to cool off because I was hot!

I too despies anything cooler than 65 F. I just don't like cold weather. Having said that, there is something weird and quirky about this whole ice diving thing. I don't mind it. I suppose it has everything to do with the proper equipment and garments. It really is a lot of fun! You should try it. Trust me :wink:

The Amish live in the Amanna coloinies, which are in the SE part of the state, we will be in the NW corner. (About 6-8hr drive time difference between the 2 locations)

Cool....no, make that COLD...video.

Now, what part of all this makes me want to try it?

Not a thing! When it comes to water temps, I think I'm a bit reptilian. However, ya'll have fun and bring back some more video. I never cease to be amazed to what lengths Swampers will go to get wet!

The Adventure ! ! ! !
I have spent more time under the ice in one day than most people will spend in a lifetime :D

Yes, we can do more dives.

The PADI requirements state:
1) 3 dives with no more than 2 dives per day allowed
2) Dives are limited to the light zone and within a max of 130ft from the surface enty point, vertical and horizontal distance combined. (our tether is ony 130ft, so this is easy)
3) Dive will be conducted during the daylight hours only.

So on Saturday, we will be limited to 2 dives. However, on Sunday after the 3rd dive for the course, the course work has been completed and we are no longer officially in training. From there you can ice dive yourself into a popsicle if you want, daylight permitting.

Usually the dives are shorter than you are used to, and you will be amazed at how quickly the cold can nail you. I have done ice dives where I got out of the water when my hands started to get uncomfortable and then done a surface interval and warmed up a bit and then got in for a 2nd dive and cut it shorter than I had planned because I was really getting cold and by the time I got out of the water I was shivering.

Randy

Man this sounds like a good time. I was all set to try it when I was stationed in CO over the last few years, but unfortunately 2 trips to the middle east kind of interrupted those plans.

I want to go but I'll have to see what my schedule is going to be like for that weekend. Also, is the classroom going to be over a weekend or in the evenings because I will be coming all the way from San ANtonio for this if I can go.

Normally I do the classroom on a weekday night, but I am getting a lot of interest from folks in the Austin, San Antonio, Houston areas. So I might need to change my way of thinking to accommodate these folks in some way and do a class on a weekend, or possible meet halfway.

The other possibility would be to do the classroom in Iowa in the morning and then start ice diving in the afternoon on the Saturday when we arrive. I would want to do some of the initial instruction prior to that, I can probably cover it with and on-line powerpoint over WebEx and a conference call bridge line.

I am struggling a bit with the logistics on this one.

Randy

Any updates on this? Did you already do the free orentations? I'm still interested in doing this but will probably decide based on how much dry suits cost and how much I have in the bank when I start looking.

Any updates on this? Did you already do the free orentations? I'm still interested in doing this but will probably decide based on how much dry suits cost and how much I have in the bank when I start looking.

Mataichi,
I am not TxIceDiver. I am not authorized to speak for him. However, I believe Randy is on vacation right now. As I recall, I think he went to the Caymans. :shocked2: Go figure! I guess he's having a lot of fun right now, what with Paloma and all. Oh well! What can you do?

Anywho, I don't think Randy has hosted his orientation classes yet. He usually hosts them in late November or early December. I am sure he'll be back in no time to give you an official answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom