Ice Diving 2013?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGypsy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm interested in finding unique ice diving opportunities this winter and am wondering if others might be able to offer suggestions. I've already taken a SDI Ice Diver class so am now looking to see if there are any dive shops or organizations planning ice diving events where I can join in. Obviously I prefer to do this in New England (and hence the reason that I am posting in this forum) but if there are truly fascinating other sites within a days drive then I am interested.

So far I have found the following possibilities.
1) Ice Diving Classes at Lake George through Rich Morin's Scuba Center during the Lake George Winter Festivals (last 3 weekends of February).
2) Ice Diving Class at Waterfront Diving Center in Burlington, VT during 20, 23-24 February at site TBD.

However both of these offerings are for the class not for the site. I'm particularly interested in going ice diving on wrecks which I do not believe these dive shops are offering.

The one place that is offering this is G+S Watersports in Tobermory at the Tugs or Little Tub Harbour. This is almost 800 miles from me so might there be someplace closer to go ice diving over a wreck?

Aquatic Escpapes in NH is putting together a Lake Champlain trip for ice wreck diving:
Get Wet - Aquatic Escapes Dive Center

I've also read on facebook that they're going to Lake Winnepasauki (I know I totally butchered that!) to dive The Lady of the Lake under the ice sometime soon, but I can't find the info on their website. It's probably worth a call/email to find out.

The previously mentioned ice diving classes in posts 1 and 2 were held in relatively shallow areas without much to see but this Sunday (03/17), Dive Winnipesaukee is hosting Ice Dive Jamboree at the Lady of the Lake wreck on Lake Winnipesaukee. Looking forward to joining in!

The previously mentioned ice diving classes in posts 1 and 2 were held in relatively shallow areas without much to see but this Sunday (03/17), Dive Winnipesaukee is hosting Ice Dive Jamboree at the Lady of the Lake wreck on Lake Winnipesaukee. Looking forward to joining in!

It was great to meet you today. It was a blast. A real testicle shrinker. Air in the mid-20's and a 20 mph wind with a wind chill probably in the low teens. Water around 33 at the surface and skim ice crusting up the hole between dives. It was definately an adventure. Hope to meet up with you again up here or down your way.

It was great to meet you today. It was a blast. A real testicle shrinker. Air in the mid-20's and a 20 mph wind with a wind chill probably in the low teens. Water around 33 at the surface and skim ice crusting up the hole between dives. It was definately an adventure. Hope to meet up with you again up here or down your way.

Fun day on the ice indeed! Enjoyed meeting you too. I also recorded 33 F water temperatures but am thinking that the above temperatures were closer to single digits with wind chill factored in. My equipment, and goatee, were covered with ice and snow when I returned to the surface. I had a ball, glad I came.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom