Question Ice diving in the United States?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had to go 9 hours drive north into Canada to get good ice (3 years in a row, last trip was four years ago). Not looking really great here in Western New York again with the winter forecast...

In2Deep (Santa Monica/Los Angeles) does an Ice Diving trip up in the Sierras every winter.

Hi all, my buddy and I are planning to try ice diving and learn dry suit diving in the holiday season. I am look for some recommandtions on good dive sites/dive shops for ice diving the United States. :D
Want to go ice diving over the holidays? That’s probably way too early for there to be much ice. I did my ice diving class in 2021 in WI. They always have their classes late Feb/early March. Had to wait that late to make sure there was sufficient ice - we had 18“ when I did my class.

There will be no ice sufficient for diving here in WI this holiday season. There is a ton of open water right now. A friend is hauling up to the northern most tip of Minnesota during to holiday to drivable ice for ice fishing. Its been a really warm winter so far this year.

I did March in Temagami, the ice was 30", but temperatures were finally good. One year it was -25 Fahrenheit, and was a tad interesting. Was better (warmer) to be in the water. Thankfully it was dead calm.

I doubt you will find ice for Christmas & New Year's....

Ive been ice diving in a few quarries here in ohio. But as mentioned above it doesn’t get favorable for very long if at all, so the game plan is to be ready with only a day or two notice lol

Bloody hell cold up there then..... It means good ice, but out of the water is nasty....

The weird part is the variability. I live in the Detroit, Michigan area. When I did my ice diving class we had more than 12 inches. Last year we never even had 3 inches all winter — and I’ve found from personal experience that 2 1/2 inches is not enough. :-(

And yeah, unless something changes drastically, I’m not really expecting enough ice around here again this year. :-(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom