Ice divers please recommend a Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello ...

I have a bilam drysuit which I layer according to temperature but I have a feeling I will need a neoprene or a crushed neoprene suit for ice diving. I want to spend a lot of time in Alaska and also northern canada so I was looking for something that would require less undergarment in icy conditions. Does anyone have any suggestion for a toasty drysuit?

Seasoft makes some great neo drysuits. I have a TX3 neoprene and it is quite toasty with just some polar fleece garments in 33* F St Lawrence waters. You also will find that the neo suits are a lot less "baggy" than the trilam or shell suits. They fit more so like a loose wetsuit and movement is less constricted. Mine has the neoprene seals and they work very well.

Does the neoprene not lose its insulation properties with depth compression? How deep did you go in St Lawrence?

Been down to about 120' on several occasions. I would say even at the depths were you do get the neo compression it's still going to have more insulating value than the trilam or shell. But thats just my take on it.

For normal diving, a shell-suit with a decent undersuit will do the trick.

Neoprene suits will also work, but I prefer shell-suits.

If you want heat without bulk, you could always get a electrically heated vest.

I ice dive regularly (water temp <40) in a trilam (DUI FLX Extreme). I wear 300g underwear with under armor base layer and I am fine.

My hands get cold from time to time, but raising them up and working some warm air into my gloves alleviates it immediately.

The surface interval is much colder, and at the end of the surface interval I am looking forward to get into the water to warm up :)

I believe they are referring to a farmer john style wet suit, where your core is under two layers of neoprene.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom