Iberostar is NOT for divers!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caryn

Registered
Reaction score
Regarding the Iberostar in Cozumel, it is a nice hotel, and ok for non-divers, and especially for kids. But it was DEFINATELY not a good resort if you scuba dive, for the following reasons:

The dive operation onsite is mostly for inexperienced divers (although the dive shop employees were very nice.) Their boats are over-crowded, and the dive masters hover over you like you're a first time diver, i.e. every 10 minutes the dm was blowing her horn and gathering everyone together to check their air - it was VERY annoying. We went on a night dive with them, and all of their dive lights died underwater, so they had to end their dive (we had our own lights which were fine, so we finished the dive alone.) In addition, they overcharged us $15 one dive, and then didn't want to give us a refund! (They gave us a polo shirt instead, which was fine.) (FYI, we dove the rest of the days with Papa Hoggs, which was great.)

The resort meal times are not in line with the diving times. So when we came back from diving, the restaurants were often closed, and we had to wait an hour or more before the next one opened so we could eat. That was a major problem.

The specialty restaurants (2 of them) require reservations. You can only make reservations from 9-10:30 am and from 4:30-5pm - we were diving those times, and they would not make any exceptions. We were there 7 nights and never were able to eat in those restaurants, which pissed us off (we complained, but they wouldn't do anything for us.)

If you dive the day you check-out (we weren't flying that day,) you'll need a late checkout and they charge by the hour for a late checkout (anything after 12pm)

There is absolutely nowhere to hang any of your dive gear, bathings suits, etc in the room, and they ask you not to hang it on the balcony (although everyone did, because what else were we supposed to do?!)

The rooms are very small, there's very little room for your gear in general.

Thanks, Caryn, for the heads-up. These are still more reasons for me not to stay there; the first was a dress code of long pants in the "good" restaurants.

Cheers,

Thanks for posting. Our travel agent tried to steer us to the Iberostar on both our diving trips to Cozumel. But we vetoed his recommendation and stayed at the Occicental Grand instead, which I recommend highly. Your post reinforces our decision.

I spoke with three travel agents, and Iberostar was the first choice of all of them. Now I'm wondering if they pay a higher commission than the other hotels?? Occidental Grand was significantly more expensive the week we went, otherwise I would've considered it. Next time I think we'll stay in town, it seems like a really good choice, especially for being able to sample the local restaurants for dinner. We'll just hit a beach club if we want a nice day on the sand, or head over to Playa Del Carmen. Although we were either diving or napping the whole time, so the beach didn't matter much!

Texas Diver:
Thanks for posting. Our travel agent tried to steer us to the Iberostar on both our diving trips to Cozumel. But we vetoed his recommendation and stayed at the Occicental Grand instead, which I recommend highly. Your post reinforces our decision.

Cozumel: Iberostar Cozumel: "Not for the Advanced Diver"
Date: July 5, 2004
Reviewer: diverdown974@msn.com, San Antonio, Texas

I have been traveling to Cozumel and Diving the area for over 25 years. I booked the Iberostar (June 2004) and took my wife for a vacation for her and diving for me. I chose the Iberostar after reading the reviews on line. I made a big mistake.
The hotel itself is OK and the food and service are great. The staff is some of the best on the Island but if you plan to dive with an independent operator beware.
I asked the desk when I checked in if there was any problem with having a private boat pick me up at the Iberostar dock and was assured there would not be a problem. Believe me there is a big problem.
The Iberostar staff on the dock did not want me to board the boat that arrived for me but I jumped on and had a good afternoon of diving. On the return the staff on the dock would not let my boat up to the dock even after I talked to them. I finally talked one of the resort boats into taking me and my gear aboard and then they let me off on the dock. It was stupid, dangerous and totally out of order for the hotel dock staff to force the issue.
I had the same problem the next day even after discussing this with the management. I was told that private boats must post a bond and other such red tape in order to pick up the Iberostar guests. What I believe I was hearing was that if you do not use the Iberostar diving facility do not plan on them making it easy on you.
We checked with several other dive operators and found that the Iberostar started this several months ago and they are the only resort on the Island that does so.
If you plan on diving with independent divers while in Cozumel do not stay at the Iberostar. If you like good food, good staff and terrible beds stay at the Iberostar.
From now on I go back to the good old reliable downtown hotels. I will be close to restaurants, evening walks in the plaza, shopping and a taxi to the harbor to catch my dive boat each day.

Bob the Fish

My wife and I stayed at the Iberostar earlier this year and had a great time. But we are novice divers. We welcomed the divemasters keeping an eye on us and they were all most enjoyable to dive with. Very experienced divers may find the experience confining.

But the best part on staying at the Iberostar was the five minute boat rides to the best reefs Coz has to offer. Between dives the boat returns to the dock so you can grab a bite to eat to something to drink. Twenty minutes later you are just five minutes from the next dive site. I think our longest boat ride the entire week was all of twelve minutes. Three or four dives a day and one night dive (where almost half of their lights failed, bring your own.)

We have made reservations to go back to the Iberostar in November we liked it so much.

Ron

Ron,

No offense intended, but if all the reefs that you dove we within 5 minutes of the hotel, then you missed some other great sites. Granted you probably had some awesome dives, but some people like more variety and challenge.

The original poster (Caryn) stated that the inhouse dive op was designed for beginning divers, so for you it was very good. I would have been real disappointed if I was limited to only a few close by reefs, and if I was watched like a beginner.

I also like the small fast 8-pak boats of Deep Blue. I have been very happy diving with them, adn I have very little interest in changing. However other people have different wants and needs. That is part of why there are (an estimated) 110 dive operations in Cozumel.

Different strokes for different folks,

Wristshot

I did say the staff was really nice at the Iberostar dive shop, so it doesn't surprise me if new divers enjoy it. We didn't have any problems getting another dive shop to pick us up at their dock, as someone else said, but they did take their time getting their boats out of the way. Maybe management has fixed the problem (we went a few weeks ago.)

I'm just wondering, everyone says the Iberostar food is great. Is it just me? It was good enough, but we were SO sick of the food after a week - the selection NEVER changed!! I haven't heard anyone else mention that in all the reviews.

Wristshot,

No offense taken. I merely wanted to point out that the Iberostar may not be the best for advanced divers but for us newbies it was about as good as it can get. Over the course of five or six days we were are to make fifteen dives out of the Iberostar without ever seeing the same things twice (not that I would have been able to tell.) My wife and I are newly certified and welcomed the watchful eyes of the divemasters there. The boats weren't crowded and always broken in two groups of seven or eight divers, each group with their own dm dropped in two seperate locations.

I have always heard the best reefs were to the southern end of the island and so that factored into our choosing the Iberostar for our first diving experience at Coz. We were not disappointed. Like I stated in my first post, more experienced divers may find it confining. But five minute boat rides do have an appeal to them.

Caryn,

I have to agree with you regarding the food selection. By the end of the week, I too was looking for something new and not finding it. The food was good but not great. They definately needed more variety.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom