Iberostar Cozumel dock fees!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have data that this is true, or is it based on anectdotal hearsay in this thread?

In my opinion, this is what fuels these kinds of threads. Someone writes about something they heard somewhere, and someone else reads it and assumes it is true. It all spirals downward from there.

I don't believe ANYTHING I hear (or read in forums), and only half of what I see.

I will second the motion! If you remove "the IB owns Dressel," as hearsay, my point is then rock solid! I was allowing the point as it might have slightly changed the argument.

I think SCC is a dive resort whereas IB is a resort that offers diving. You know what you're getting when you book with SCC but not so much with IB.

I think SCC is a dive resort whereas IB is a resort that offers diving. You know what you're getting when you book with SCC but not so much with IB.
No offense intended, but isn't that a rather fine point?

No offense intended, but isn't that a rather fine point?

No offense taken. It is a fine point but SCC is Scuba Club Cozumel, it is in the name. The IB doesn't tell you when booking that they discriminate against off-site dive ops.

I dont know if better is the right word, but I think it would at least be honest in what they are trying to do.

No offense taken. It is a fine point but SCC is Scuba Club Cozumel, it is in the name. The IB doesn't tell you when booking that they discriminate against off-site dive ops.
So, if IB just changed their name to something like "Iberostar Scuba Club", everything would be hunky? Sorry, I just don't get the distinction.

As much as it pains me to agree in any measure with billindenver (no offense, Bill :D), it seems to me that if the other ops just treated IB like SCC, there'd be no problem. In fact, if all the other ops stopped picking up at IB, they might change their policy.

Gordon, If IB would just say that no op can use the peir except Dressel there would be no problem. To try and put such an open ended contract on the off-site ops is the problem. If they close the peir to any off-site ops, no problem, stay there and use thier op, stay somewhere else or take a cab. I just dont agree with charging the other ops, charge the guest, we all know that AI's are far from all inclusive. People already are willing to spend a small fee for Wi-Fi what is the difference.

Gordon, If IB would just say that no op can use the peir except Dressel there would be no problem. To try and put such an open ended contract on the off-site ops is the problem. If they close the peir to any off-site ops, no problem, stay there and use thier op, stay somewhere else or take a cab. I just dont agree with charging the other ops, charge the guest, we all know that AI's are far from all inclusive. People already are willing to spend a small fee for Wi-Fi what is the difference.
I understand. My point is that the outside ops have the power to make it that way if they choose to.

Is the business from the IB really that important anyway? In several years of diving with Blue Angel I can only remember picking up a diver at the IB a handful of times. I also understand an op's desire to accommodate their customers, but if a customer chooses to stay at SCC, for example, they have to find an alternative to picking up there or give up that customer's business. Treat the IB the same way. If the outside ops were all to do this and Dressel couldn't service the demand, then I'll bet the policy would change.

As my dad always use to say to me, don't fight the problem, solve it.

DWM picks up a lot of divers at IB(from my own observation when I've stayed at IB). I've seen them send as many as three different boats in one morning to pick up divers(maybe 2-4 per boat). Maybe because they do pick up so many people/month is why they found a "business solution" to the dock fee problem. At any rate since I do use that op, and because the hotel price was great, I will stay at IB this trip. I'll see how it goes in June and decide from there if I want to change hotels.

So now the argument is that all would be well if IB closed their docks like SCC does?

The moment they did so we would have a 25 page thread on how IB was trying to kill the small dive ops by hoarding all of the divers that come to them.

While the voices in Antonio's head tell him that I change my story, the truth is I haven't changed a thing. IB owns the dock, they can charge whatever they want to anyone they want for the use of it. If the other ops stop going there, effectively they have closed their docks and the few who care will have to go somewhere else.

Perhaps it was an off week when we were there last, but there were very few who dove with off site ops that week (we did). I doubt it will affect their bottom line much at all if none of the dive ops pay their fees. DWM has decided it's worth it apparently, but if the fees escalate like Antonio says they will, then I'm sure that DWM will decline as well. In the end, Iberostar gets to choose what they charge...and if it hurts them, they will very likely change their minds. Nothing is set in stone.

GG, just don't make it a habit. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom