Iberostar Cozumel dock fees!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will agree that there are not a lot of divers who take advantage of booking with outside dive ops and that just speaks to the greed of the hotel in trying to monopolize all dive revenue emanating from their resort.
I'm not trying to throw gasoline on the fire, but doesn't Scuba Club Cozumel require that you dive with them if you stay there, or at least prohibit pickup there by outside ops? If I am wrong feel free to beat me about the head and shoulders, but if I am correct in my understanding, what's the difference?

I've also heard from several former Dressel employees that they are under extreme pressure to SELL, SELL, SELL and if they don't produce, they are out.

Isn't that the point of any business? I'm sure your business must operate under that principal at some level, or you wouldn't be around very long either.

Maybe if you are worried about locals, you should reconsider?

I'm not quite certain what you want me to reconsider? I haven't taken a position one way or other.

Well, that seems a little different. It is like the two other pay piers, it is owned by the dive shop. I guess you could say since IB owns dressel, a dive op owns the pier. It is different in that:
SSC closed the dock they own.
Sand Dollar and the other one charge the divers to use their dock.
IB is going to charge the op to pick you up with some odd formula.

No 'hotel' charges for or restricts the use of their dock by guests. (provided you accept SCC is a dive op with rooms, not a hotel with a dive shop.)

It is a sneaky way for IB to get money and elimnate competition while hiding it from their customers. It is forcing the dive ops to collect money for the IB from the diver.

I'm not quite certain what you want me to reconsider? I haven't taken a position one way or other.

Sorry, I took it you were saying that encouraging divers to avoid the IB would hurt the local blue collar workers. I was just proposing that NOT encouraging people might actaully hurt locals more. If I misunderstood, sorry.

Isn't that the point of any business? I'm sure your business must operate under that principal at some level, or you wouldn't be around very long either.

My Instructors and DM's are just that - they are not high pressure sales people and are not under any obligation to push a hard sell on divers that are here to enjoy their vacations for additioanl courses and specialties. If I wanted a high pressure sales team, I would have one.

I guess you could say since IB owns dressel, ...

Do you have data that this is true, or is it based on anectdotal hearsay in this thread?

In my opinion, this is what fuels these kinds of threads. Someone writes about something they heard somewhere, and someone else reads it and assumes it is true. It all spirals downward from there.

I don't believe ANYTHING I hear (or read in forums), and only half of what I see.

I don't believe ANYTHING I hear (or read in forums), and only half of what I see.

You believe half!?!? :shocked2:

Well, that seems a little different. It is like the two other pay piers, it is owned by the dive shop. I guess you could say since IB owns dressel, a dive op owns the pier. It is different in that:
SSC closed the dock they own.
Sand Dollar and the other one charge the divers to use their dock.
IB is going to charge the op to pick you up with some odd formula.

No 'hotel' charges for or restricts the use of their dock by guests. (provided you accept SCC is a dive op with rooms, not a hotel with a dive shop.)

It is a sneaky way for IB to get money and elimnate competition while hiding it from their customers. It is forcing the dive ops to collect money for the IB from the diver.
Just to be the Devil's Avocado, it seems pretty similar to me. In both cases the hotel and op are branches of the same company. SCC prohibits outside op pickup where IB allows it but charges for it. Why is no one up in arms about SCC? Maybe IB should just close their pier to all ops but Dressel; would that be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom