Iberostar Cozumel dock fees!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill,

Can I get you to agree it is distinctly different situation at IB in that they are billing the outside op rather than the diver as the other two 'pay' docks and just closing it like SCC's private dock?

Its just sneaky..... not illegal or immoral or whatever, just sneaky at an AI resort. They avoid telling the guest about it and make it the outside ops problem. I don't like it and won't go back. I hope there are enough people who feel the same and they change the policy, because other than the crappy water line, its a nice place with a nice staff and a couple cool cats.

Yeah, it's different...but I don't think it is sneaky. Every airport on this planet charges the plane that lands there, not the client in it. Many resorts charge the taxi's that come there, not the client. The massage companies are charged to service the clients within the resort, not the client directly. It really is typical business practice that someone using another companies grounds or property to make their living pays for that use.

The difficulty here is that the resorts have not, in the past, charged outside ops to use their piers so the status quo is that the piers are free. The world economy is in the tank and looking to get worse before its better. Everyone is tightening their belts. Everyone. Perhaps Iberostar has chosen to protect their onsite dive op from competition, or they are getting people who profit from it to chip in on pier maintenance....it doesn't matter what the reason is, the fact is they can choose to do so if they wish to and if enough people stop going there, maybe it will change their minds but I seriously doubt that will happen.

To answer your question directly, yes it is distinctly different situation at IB than it is at the other two pay docks..but that doesn't mean it is distinctly worse. There is no reason that I've heard why the divers can't pay a separate fee if they are picked up at Iberostar. There is no reason the dive op can't tack on $5 per diver to be picked up there. We are all charged $2 per day for the marine park fee, why can't there be a separate charge for picking up at a dock that charges? It's simple math and simple book keeping and despite the assurances that it is 'far more complicated than that' it just isn't. $8 a day for BC's, various charges for other gear and $10 a day for Nitrox doesn't seem to stress the book keepers out...so why would a charge for the pier. This is being made into far more of a problem than it should be. Two dive ops are attempting to whip the public into a frenzy in order to better their business. I have no problem with that, but when someone disagrees with them they start throwing around insults. When a dive op ignores their picket line and proceeds business as usual, they start throwing out insinuations about their safety or their business practices...and when called on it....both of them are curiously silent on the matter and offer nothing whatsoever to back up their previous insinuations. Seeing Dressel and DWM take a beating simply because they are not in here to defend themselves bothers me. This isn't a commercial board, it is a board for divers....and I'm a diver, so I voice my opinion even if it bothers those whose commercial interests are the only reason they log in here.

CV I respect your decision to stay elsewhere, of course I do. It is the right of every consumer to make that decision for themselves. On my part, if the fiance tells me she wants to stay at Iberostar, then we will....and if not one dive op will pick me up there, I would dive with Dressel and enjoy it. No, it would not be as good of a dive as I get with Aldora/Living Underwater/Dive with Martin....but it would likely be cheaper and have free nitrox so I would suffer through it with a smile on my face. While I fully respect your decision and your determination as a consumer, I don't respect the two dive ops original attack on dressel and further attacks on Dive with Martin. Neither of them are consumers, they are competing business slandering other business on the internet and then refusing to give specifics when called out on it. I don't respect their way of jumping on and attempting to shout down anyone who disagrees with them and attempting to get the thread locked or deleted by turning it into a insult slinging fight.

Yeah, it's different...but I don't think it is sneaky. Every airport on this planet charges the plane that lands there, not the client in it. Many resorts charge the taxi's that come there, not the client. The massage companies are charged to service the clients within the resort, not the client directly. It really is typical business practice that someone using another companies grounds or property to make their living pays for that use.

The difficulty here is that the resorts have not, in the past, charged outside ops to use their piers so the status quo is that the piers are free. The world economy is in the tank and looking to get worse before its better. Everyone is tightening their belts. Everyone. Perhaps Iberostar has chosen to protect their onsite dive op from competition, or they are getting people who profit from it to chip in on pier maintenance....it doesn't matter what the reason is, the fact is they can choose to do so if they wish to and if enough people stop going there, maybe it will change their minds but I seriously doubt that will happen.

To answer your question directly, yes it is distinctly different situation at IB than it is at the other two pay docks..but that doesn't mean it is distinctly worse. There is no reason that I've heard why the divers can't pay a separate fee if they are picked up at Iberostar. There is no reason the dive op can't tack on $5 per diver to be picked up there. We are all charged $2 per day for the marine park fee, why can't there be a separate charge for picking up at a dock that charges? It's simple math and simple book keeping and despite the assurances that it is 'far more complicated than that' it just isn't. $8 a day for BC's, various charges for other gear and $10 a day for Nitrox doesn't seem to stress the book keepers out...so why would a charge for the pier. This is being made into far more of a problem than it should be. Two dive ops are attempting to whip the public into a frenzy in order to better their business. I have no problem with that, but when someone disagrees with them they start throwing around insults. When a dive op ignores their picket line and proceeds business as usual, they start throwing out insinuations about their safety or their business practices...and when called on it....both of them are curiously silent on the matter and offer nothing whatsoever to back up their previous insinuations. Seeing Dressel and DWM take a beating simply because they are not in here to defend themselves bothers me. This isn't a commercial board, it is a board for divers....and I'm a diver, so I voice my opinion even if it bothers those whose commercial interests are the only reason they log in here.

CV I respect your decision to stay elsewhere, of course I do. It is the right of every consumer to make that decision for themselves. On my part, if the fiance tells me she wants to stay at Iberostar, then we will....and if not one dive op will pick me up there, I would dive with Dressel and enjoy it. No, it would not be as good of a dive as I get with Aldora/Living Underwater/Dive with Martin....but it would likely be cheaper and have free nitrox so I would suffer through it with a smile on my face. While I fully respect your decision and your determination as a consumer, I don't respect the two dive ops original attack on dressel and further attacks on Dive with Martin. Neither of them are consumers, they are competing business slandering other business on the internet and then refusing to give specifics when called out on it. I don't respect their way of jumping on and attempting to shout down anyone who disagrees with them and attempting to get the thread locked or deleted by turning it into a insult slinging fight.

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

:kiss2: :mooner: :kiss2: :mooner: :kiss2: :mooner: :kiss2: :mooner: :kiss2: :mooner: :kiss2: :mooner: :kiss2: :mooner:

I have a simple question. Has anyone - Christi, Antonio, another dive op, or an Iberostar customer - talked to a manager at the hotel, in person, to get real, factual, current information? This thread has been running for quite some time and I haven't seen a recent post that even mentions a conversation with the hotel. Help??

I doubt that you would ever get an answer on the 'real' business decision from the hotel.

My guess (and personal opinion only), based on many years of dealing with these types of 'business edicts, is that the decision was probably made by some new MBA, bean-counter, wanna be at the main IB office in Spain. I would be surprised if the Coz IB had anything directly to do with the actual decision other than be told to enforce it.

It would be interesting to know if the IB hotels in Carmen del Playa, or eleswhere around the world recently adopted the same policy.

I suppose one of the dangers of a thread that runs 23 plus pages is that it easy for people to forget (perhaps conveniently) the facts stated earlier. It is NOT $5.00 per diver but a monthly fee that will range from $50.00 to $500.00 per month. If there are a very limited number of guests picked up per month (as has been stated by Bill) then my “simple math” calculates out at a lot more than $5.00 per diver. I have no doubt that Christie and Antonio both have bookkeepers that know how to use a spreadsheet but, unless they also have skills at creative accounting, I doubt that they can convert $50.00 per month divided by two or three divers into $5.00 a head.

Do airports charge landing fees…absolutely and that is why many of the European no-frills carriers seek out lesser used airports to obtain cheaper rates. Do airlines absorb and eat those fees…no! Read your tariff sheet for fees, taxes etc…all paid by the user. As for other services offered at a hotel…they do pay fees, percentages, commissions, etc. in exchange for the concession they are allowed to operate on site. What hasn’t happened…ever...in all of my travels in many cities and countries is for a hotel or resort to assess a charge to a firm or service that I have invited onto the property on my own. It is important to separate fact from fiction and some are not willing to do that.

As for it being two dive ops trying to whip the public into frenzy for the benefit of their businesses– wrong again. Antonio made an informational post and asked for support in writing the Iberostar if we disagreed with this new policy. Far more than just two local dive ops (closer to half a dozen actually) have either chimed in with posts or expressions of thanks including a couple of Bill’s current favourites. Beyond those dive ops, a significant number of posters have contributed and the majority have sided against the Iberostar. There is nothing wrong with being contrarian and some people will forever be that way, but swimming against the current goes against all we were taught in our open water lessons.

I read accusations of these two ops making slanderous remarks, insinuations about safety, and insults but, forgive me, as I have re-read all their posts…I don’t see any of that so please prove it…don’t just make stuff up. Of course they will be silent when they didn’t say anything wrong in the first place. They simply said that DWM works on a different business model than others and makes it work…nothing more and certainly nothing derogatory nor anything that constitutes an attack. If I am wrong please present some quotes backing up these statements.

Each of us will ultimately make the choice as to what is most important to us. I, as many others have repeatedly stated on this board, value service, diving my computer profile, beach surface intervals, no-rush schedules, gear storage and several other intangibles and will not sacrifice them for any reason. I would be speaking out of both sides of my mouth if I suggested that I would be smiling after doing dives that were not as good as I have come to expect from my favourite dive op.

I just checked my trip report from sep26-Oct3 at Iberostar Cozumel and it looks like Dressel Divers was charging $48 per tank for their dive packages versus $27.50 per tank that Dive With Martin charged me for a 10 tank dive package. Thats close to double the price of one of the more competitive dive ops on the island! Maybe Dressel wants to make it inconvenient for other Ops to pick up customers at Iberostars pier, so their business will pick up.

I just checked my trip report from sep26-Oct3 at Iberostar Cozumel and it looks like Dressel Divers was charging $48 per tank for their dive packages versus $27.50 per tank that Dive With Martin charged me for a 10 tank dive package.

Interesting, I was just there in January and a 2 tank boat trip was $73 ($36.50/tank) for a 10 tank package. I pre-paid it last June so they also gave me aa additional 15% discount making it $31.00/tank for a 10 tank package.

Could be they were charging more for a single tank trip, I didn't do any of those or perhaps rates chage seasonally? I know January isn't considered the peak time for Coz.

It was my first time diving Coz, and I knew, from reading this board, that there were less expensive, more 'popular' dive ops, but I wanted to keep things simple this time around and went for the convenience of the house op (and the <5 minute boat rides to most of the popular sites).

I had a great time diving with them. Am I married to them now? No .. I'll still 'shop' next time because my non-diving wife doesn't give a RA about dive shops and just wants a great resort.

, No, it would not be as good of a dive as I get with Aldora/Living Underwater/Dive with Martin....but it would likely be cheaper and have free nitrox so I would suffer through it with a smile on my face.

I don't know where you got the fact that Dressel "would likely be cheaper" because that absolutely is not true in comparison to DWM. I do not know what the other ops charge..but I know DWM charged less than Dressel the last time I checked. I probably should have checked this years prices before I commented, but I do know from sitting at the bar last December that the people diving Dressel were paying way more than the DWM divers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom