Iberostar Cozumel dock fees!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zzzScuba, I have to disagree, you are looking to charge the wrong group. The outside dive-ops are not asking to pick people up at IB's pier, it is their own guests asking therefore charge the guests not the outside dive-ops. We stayed at the Wyndham in Nov. did not want to use the on-site op and paid $3 dollars a day per person to have the op of our choice pick us up. I agree with Gorden this is simply IB's way to try and force thier guests to use the on-site op.

When an airplane lands at an airport anywhere on this planet, the people filing off that plane are not required to pay a fee at the gate. The airline pays the landing fees to the airport, and the client pays them in the ticket price. The marina where the boats sleep doesn't collect its fee from the individual divers either...nor does the marine park. It's all rolled into the price of doing business...and the dive op collects it. The resort apparently believes that making less money per diver but charging a flat fee per month is less intrusive on their clients than a guy standing on the pier collecting $3 per diver. I can see their logic, and in the end they are trying to get the fee that is due them from the dive op without forcing their all inclusive clients to pay in cash. I think it's a good business decision.

It's really pretty simple. If you own a dive op and $50 a month is too much to pay while you charge your clients more than that for one day of diving....then just don't pay it. There are plenty of divers elsewhere to fill your pockets from and the divers at Iberostar will be serviced by companies such as Dive with Martin and others who can afford the $50.

If you are a diver whose favorite op chooses not to pay the fee, then ask them for a list of resorts who don't charge the fee and stay in one of those. Seems pretty cut and dried to me. Several other docks are not free, and have not been free for quite some time....and as shocking as this may be for others to hear...they still have plenty of clients staying there. This isn't the first internet based email spam campaign to come up over this issue and none of the others changed anything either.

What will happen is people will continue to stay at Iberostar, find that their old dive op can't afford to come pick them up there...and discover that there are many other dive ops on the island that do a better job than their old stand by. A client base here and there will shift around, but other than that....business as usual.

Last edited:
Billin-

Boom... you hit it right on the head! :cheers:

Jeff.

Bill,
I probably can't say your wrong in the outcome, but I have to disagree with the path. I never paid the airport for AI use of their stuff. The proper logic would be I rented the use of the airport and then when my plane lands, they run out and hit the captain up for a kickback. The dock is a "non-motorized watersport," right? :D
As for other not free docks, are there any that charge you when you are already staying there? RR / Wyndam doesn't count as I understand that actually was built by the dive operator right?
If you think about it it is really just a tariff that makes the local operator cheaper than the outsider while lining the pockets of the resort, protectionism, the buy local approach. I think the whole 'its only fair' argument is a bit disingenuous. It is a money maker pure and simply. I guess as a free trader I find it disagreeable. It means DVM or whoever has to be that much a better run business compete. Of course I don't know how much the op at the resorts have to pay to eat right from the trough, so maybe they pay a bundle for that target rich enviroment.

Can we just settle on calling the Ibero an AAI for almost all-inclusive? You can't much complain if they tell you about it, I guess.
I do enjoy the economic argument though. It is interesting.:chairfight:

When an airplane lands at an airport anywhere on this planet, the people filing off that plane are not required to pay a fee at the gate. The airline pays the landing fees to the airport, and the client pays them in the ticket price. The marina where the boats sleep doesn't collect its fee from the individual divers either...nor does the marine park. It's all rolled into the price of doing business...and the dive op collects it. They are making less money per diver but charging a flat fee per month is less intrusive on their clients than a guy standing on the pier collecting $3 per diver. I can see their logic, and in the end they are trying to get the fee that is due them from the dive op without forcing their all inclusive clients to pay in cash. I think it's a good business decision.

It's really pretty simple. If you own a dive op and $50 a month is too much to pay while you charge your clients more than that for one day of diving....then just don't pay it. There are plenty of divers elsewhere to fill your pockets from and the divers at Iberostar will be serviced by companies such as Dive with Martin and others who can afford the $50.

If you are a diver whose favorite op chooses not to pay the fee, then ask them for a list of resorts who don't charge the fee and stay in one of those. Seems pretty cut and dried to me. Several other docks are not free, and have not been free for quite some time....and as shocking as this may be for others to hear...they still have plenty of clients staying there. This isn't the first internet based email spam campaign to come up over this issue and none of the others changed anything either.

What will happen is people will continue to stay at Iberostar, find that their old dive op can't afford to come pick them up there...and discover that there are many other dive ops on the island that do a better job than their old stand by. A client base here and there will shift around, but other than that....business as usual.

As usual Bill you twist and distort things to fit your argument, and at the same time take pot shots at those you are trying to diss. It's not a matter of affordability, as if DWM "can afford to pay $50 a month", and those who disagree with you can't.

You are right in some of your comments, free market capitalism does give any hotel the right to do what the Iberostar, Wyndham and others do. It doesn't make it right though. Free market capitalism also dictates that every year hundreds of thousands of tons of food are allowed to rot and waste, while millions die of starvation. But of course if it was your stock prices staying high, you would think it's ok I guess.

It's NOT $50 a month, it may be much more, and it's NOT the amount it's the principle. As it was stated by a previous poster, Ibersotar came to Cozumel and invested because of the high draw of dive tourism to the island, I am certain their investment has paid off and then some by now, it's the NICKEL AND DIMING attitude that sucks, but of course you will always find ways to make it appear that you are right, and those who disagree with you are wrong, and you will always find ways to demean those who disagree with you, that's the kind of person you are. This is not a spam campaign, regardless of what you say. As I said before, you love these little wars on the forum, I'm sure you get a kick out of them, and I'm probably a fool for engaging you after I said I wouldn't, of course you're trying to get a reaction, that's why you throw your little jabs. From the many private messages I have received I can tell you most on here can see right through you.

Antonio, try as you might to make this a personal fight. I'm simply not that interested. You can cry about the fees Iberostar charges you, to no avail and you can cry about my opinion that they have the right to and toss around insults but that's not going to get me fired up. Why my opinion stresses you out so is beyond me, but I won't lose much sleep over it I assure you.

As for Iberostar being all inclusive so you deserve to use their dock. We stayed 9 days there and they charged us cash in the lobby for internet service every day..it wasn't included. Tips were given to service people every day..that wasn't included either. The gift shop wasn't free for some reason. Nothing about all inclusive means all free for anything you want. All inclusive means all food, all drinks and a bunch of amenities...are included. Non motorized water sports are included as well....do you row up to the dock or is there a motor in the boat?

The point being the resort has taken away your free access to income from their guests and you are upset about it. You are not the first and will not be the last to base a business model on an assumption that someone else will continue to give you something for free...only to be disappointed. I'll bet if you start a business where you cook food for people in their hotel rooms you wont get free access to do that either...despite the fact that the client paid for the room already.

If we had chosen to get married at Iberostar this summer instead of elsewhere, they would have charged us per guest that stayed offsite and attended the wedding. That's business.

Under the proposed business plan posted here I think that they will live up to the "All Inclusive" concept. When THEY advertise it as an AI it will in actual fact be just that IF they make the dive ops pick up the cost of serving their "guests". After all if they have things their way guests won't need to pay a fee to use the pier, nor will they need to charge it to their room etc. It will look like the AI the guest expected, without any additional costs here & there for "optional extras".
Under the business plan that's been posted here it's the dive ops that pay the fees, and therefore look a bit more pricy due to having to add a surcharge for pick up at the pier. In the beginning dive ops will either fight it, or adjust to it, but somewhere down the road it will just fade away from the headlines but IF they make it a permanent reality diving with the op of your choice will cost more, and be more inconvenient, or downright difficult.
Over the years I've sent a lot of business their way, likely over $100,000 worth but that's about to change. Staying that far from town keeps getting more & more expensive, and when I'm asked which resort is a good value this one will be further down my list.

Now consider this because it's another strong possibility, and more than likely it could come into play on forums like this one.

Dive With the Devil overcharged me. I arranged a 20 tank dive package using their web site special but the final bill is more than that listed on their web site. They say it's to cover the additional cost of picking me up at the Iberostar. Why does that matter? They would have been going by anyway. I think they screwed me for more money. They are dishonest. Tell everyone you know not to book with them.

Tell me you don't think something like this won't happen; I'm all ears.

And they didn't tell you ahead of time, and neither did the IB, correct?

Bill, I get some of that but not all. I checked the website before I came and I was ready to be charged too darn much for wifi, esp given the unit by the pool was on the fritz. The dock fees for other ops ist mentioned. I don't like getting stuck in a sneaky way. If the fee is assessed to the op, then I AM PAYING it, regardless of the op's pricing structure. I don't know that I go with Antonio's "principle" thing. I guess I just don't like the kickback business model. The only vote I have is my greenbacks and they aren't many votes though..... :D

Yes, I used the dock to enter the water to swim. They don't have an expense when I step off and my foot hits water, but it is an expense if it hits a boat? If I had a friend picking me up in their yacht (Jeez I wish I had this friend exp if its the microsoft guy) do they get to charge him? :poke:

Bill, I get some of that but not all. I checked the website before I came and I was ready to be charged too darn much for wifi, esp given the unit by the pool was on the fritz. The dock fees for other ops ist mentioned. I don't like getting stuck in a sneaky way. If the fee is assessed to the op, then I AM PAYING it, regardless of the op's pricing structure. I don't know that I go with Antonio's "principle" thing. I guess I just don't like the kickback business model. The only vote I have is my greenbacks and they aren't many votes though..... :D

Yes, I used the dock to enter the water to swim. They don't have an expense when I step off and my foot hits water, but it is an expense if it hits the water? If I had a friend picking me up in their yacht (Jeez I wish I had this friend exp if its the microsoft guy) do they get to charge him? :poke:

If I had a friend picking me up at Iberostar's dock in a yacht...I would expect HIM to pay the fee. :)

It would be a nice problem to have though wouldn't it? I heard the Octopus was off Cozumel a month ago. Now that's my idea of a dive boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom