Iberostar Cozumel dock fees!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you all want to understand how bad it REALLY is, I got a call earlier today from a fellow dive operator to talk about this.

They have two divers at IB right now - have been picking them up there for a couple of days. They were notified today that they will not be able to pick their divers up tomorrow unless they pay the $50 fee!!!!!

These are the ONLY two divers they have booked there for the entire month of February.

Regardless of how many divers any shop has there in any given month - we agreed that if any of us pays this ridiculous BRIBE - we will be feeding them.

I've since spoken to four other dive op owners about this and of the five I've been on the phone with - we won't give in.

Unfortunately what I think will happen is that many, if not all outside operators will no longer offer pick-ups from Iberostar at all. If people really want to stay there and dive with their operator of choice - the only way to do so may be to taxi/drive to another pick-up point each day. As we all know, this will be an expensive proposition for the divers. The other alternative is for the divers to stay elsewhere and let IB know exactly why.

^^^^ Were those divers actually using the dock--or wading in the water? Either way, it's ridiculous and I'm glad I wrote the manager. I have been looking at other hotels for our next trip,too. Gotta have an AI because the kids will be with us and believe me they eat, eat, eat...LOL.

If you all want to understand how bad it REALLY is, I got a call earlier today from a fellow dive operator to talk about this.

They have two divers at IB right now - have been picking them up there for a couple of days. They were notified today that they will not be able to pick their divers up tomorrow unless they pay the $50 fee!!!!!

These are the ONLY two divers they have booked there for the entire month of February.

Regardless of how many divers any shop has there in any given month - we agreed that if any of us pays this ridiculous BRIBE - we will be feeding them.

I've since spoken to four other dive op owners about this and of the five I've been on the phone with - we won't give in.

Unfortunately what I think will happen is that many, if not all outside operators will no longer offer pick-ups from Iberostar at all. If people really want to stay there and dive with their operator of choice - the only way to do so may be to taxi/drive to another pick-up point each day. As we all know, this will be an expensive proposition for the divers. The other alternative is for the divers to stay elsewhere and let IB know exactly why.

How much is the dock fee worth to the resort if they start losing bookings over it?

All you dive ops need to draw a line in the sand on the issue for better or worse and start informing your clients you can't pick them up at the pier anymore unless they go and pay the pier fee to the resort.

Put the problem in the lap of the divers and then it will transfer to the resort.

Explain to divers that there resort is playing an unscrupulous game in your opionion. Let the divers get fired up about it and let them take it out on the resorts.

You dive ops should not be put in the middle of it. This is between the divers and the resorts.

Up until recently the only dock charges at All Inclusive Resorts, were at the dock located at the Park Royal and the Wyndham/Sabor/Aura/Reef Regency.

:D
I agree Antonio but Park Royal does not take the money, Aquaworld does. So please dont put the word charge near Park Royal when discussing the pier charge. That's all, not trying to disrupt the issue, just dont want Park Royal to look like a bad guy too.:D kev
ps. Casa del Mar charges also for use of their pier.

ps. Casa del Mar charges also for use of their pier.

Actually, for clarification - CDM does not charge pier fees for Casa del Mar guests - only those who want to use their pier and staying elsewhere.

How much is the dock fee worth to the resort if they start losing bookings over it?

All you dive ops need to draw a line in the sand on the issue for better or worse and start informing your clients you can't pick them up at the pier anymore unless they go and pay the pier fee to the resort.

Put the problem in the lap of the divers and then it will transfer to the resort.

Explain to divers that there resort is playing an unscrupulous game in your opionion. Let the divers get fired up about it and let them take it out on the resorts.

You dive ops should not be put in the middle of it. This is between the divers and the resorts.

I couldn't agree with you more - and it's exactly what we're doing! AS I said, I spoke to several other dive op owners and managers today and we're going to team up and try to do something about this. In the meantime - some of the island favorites will not be picking up divers there and we will make sure that ALL of our divers know ahead of time so they can choose alternative lodging if still possible.

The task for all of us right now is to go through current/future reservations and see if we have people already confirmed at the IB and if so, we have to inform them of the situation so we can come up with a plan B for these people.

Gracias, Antonio. It is good to know what to expect before we book our trips, hope the other resorts don't follow suit. Mo

I don't know if it will help (although it would it many others join in) but it still made me feel good sending the following to both email addresses:

Dear Sir;

My wife and I are planning a trip to Cozumel for later this year. In reviewing brochures with our travel agent and examining various websites, your property seemed ideal. My wife, being a non-diver, wants an all-inclusive property such as yours to keep her occupied during the day when I dive. I, in turn, appreciate a few cold cervesas to chase away the salt water.

Recently, however, I have been reading comments on ScubaBoard that the hotel is charging for other dive operators to pick up hotel guests from the dock. It appears that the better dive operators are not going to pay this fee and will refuse to pick up from the Iberostar. Since I have my preferred dive operator in Cozumel (and choose not to dive with cattle boat operations) it will mean that I must make my way to the Caleta to meet my boat. That will cost me an extra $20.00 daily and be a major inconvenience.

So, in spite of how attractive your property looks, I cannot follow through with any booking until such time as you change this policy. If you don't mind helping me, perhaps you can recommend an all-inclusive in Cozumel whose senior management is not so short sighted and doesn’t charge this fee?

I don't know if it will help (although it would it many others join in) but it still made me feel good sending the following to both email addresses:

Dear Sir;

My wife and I are planning a trip to Cozumel for later this year. In reviewing brochures with our travel agent and examining various websites, your property seemed ideal. My wife, being a non-diver, wants an all-inclusive property such as yours to keep her occupied during the day when I dive. I, in turn, appreciate a few cold cervesas to chase away the salt water.

Recently, however, I have been reading comments on ScubaBoard that the hotel is charging for other dive operators to pick up hotel guests from the dock. It appears that the better dive operators are not going to pay this fee and will refuse to pick up from the Iberostar. Since I have my preferred dive operator in Cozumel (and choose not to dive with cattle boat operations) it will mean that I must make my way to the Caleta to meet my boat. That will cost me an extra $20.00 daily and be a major inconvenience.

So, in spite of how attractive your property looks, I cannot follow through with any booking until such time as you change this policy. If you don't mind helping me, perhaps you can recommend an all-inclusive in Cozumel whose senior management is not so short sighted and doesn’t charge this fee?

Great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom