IAH vs. DFW questions, comments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azscubadude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For years I've used IAH when heading to CZM or the Caribbean from Phoenix. I know my way around the airport, customs, gates, clubs, restaurants and a nice close hotel if I need to overnight. I've flown Continental for all trips usually without a hitch (as far as the airport goes).

Lately, when looking for alternate routes (just in case United continues its downward spiral (IMO is inevitable)) I found that AA flies the PHX, DFW, CZM route with just about the exact same schedule but, it seems, with more flights (more days of the week) than UA now offers. I'm sure that probably changes with the seasons. I haven't flown AA in many many years. I always liked Continental and have flown them and Continental Micronesia almost exclusively through the years when possible.

I would most likely have to do an overnight in DFW just like IAH because I can't get from PHX to either IAH or DFW early enough to make the connection for a one day trip, so even though it isn't desirable it isn't a deal breaker as I have to do this for either.

A couple things I've read that DFW has going for it is that, 1. it is the most tech friendly airport in the country (not a big deal but helpful).. but the biggest advantage right now is that AA has the TSA PreCheck established at DFW where although it is coming to IAH and PHX in 2012, according to TSA, it isn't available yet at IAH or PHX.

So, my question is, for the travelers that are used to IAH and DFW, which do you prefer (if that is possible) and/or easiest to maneuver ? Do you have a preference between the two (other than if you just live closer to one or the other). Any opinions / thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks !!

I live in the Dallas area, and DFW is far more convenient for me, and IMO, easier to get around, especially through Immigrations and Customs returning from Coz. But I usually choose flights based on price and schedule, and in the past, I have often found it worthwhile to drive down to IAH to save over $250 on a round trip flight to Coz, simply because Continental/United was that much cheaper than American. In summer months (May 31 through September, I think), Sun Country Airlines flies direct to Cozumel from DFW - but only on certain days of the week - and it is generally the most cost-effective choice. But you need to search Sun Country website, as its schedule does not show up on some of the travel search sites (like Southwest Air). If you are really a bargain hunter, you may want to check Air Tran (yes, it has merged into Southwest, but they still haven't gotten a unified FAA certificate, so schedules are still separate). Air Tran is now flying into Cancun from San Antonio. From Phoenix, you should be able to fly into San Antonio fairly cheaply on Southwest, then to Cancun on Air Tran. From Cancun, you can either do the bag- drag bus trip to Playa Del Carmen and ferry to Coz, or a puddle jumper from Cancun to CZM for about $75-$90 each way. A lot more time and transfers, but probably cheaper overall. You make your own call if the cost savings are worth it.

Chris are you limited to the days you can fly? I just checked schedules and you can get to Cozumel through IAH in a single day during the summer months if you fly on Saturday, Sunday or Monday. I t would require catching a 5:00AM flight from PHX and the 12ish flight from IAH to CZM.

Chris are you limited to the days you can fly? I just checked schedules and you can get to Cozumel through IAH in a single day during the summer months if you fly on Saturday, Sunday or Monday. It would require catching a 5:00AM flight from PHX and the 12ish flight from IAH to CZM.

They sometimes offer the early morning flight you mentioned, sometimes even 2, one at 4:45 (sometimes 5:00 am) and one at 6:00am but I live over 120 miles north of Phoenix so catching either of these requires and overnight in Phoenix or getting up at midnight (or staying up all night) to get to Phoenix on time. Plus, neither early flights from PHX get me to IAH in time for the earlier flight to CZM. In the past I can't remember US/CO actually flying two flights a day into CZM, at least not very often. So just having the early IAH to CZM flight requires and overnight in IAH.

Plus.. since Arizona doesn't change clocks during DST it throws the time in IAH and CZM off enough that no matter what I can't make the connection in IAH even leaving PHX on the earliest flight. Sometimes we are on Pacific time zone and sometimes the Mountain time zone which gains me or loses me an hour in IAH.

I did this flight last month and it left me almost DOA when I got to CZM. It does save an overnight in Houston but that just moves the problem to PHX. The later flight was supposed to land in CZM at around 2:40 pm but UA was 45 minutes late so by the time I got out of the airport and to the resort it was after 4:00 pm which left me totally wiped out for the day since I had been up since 1:00 am.

US Airways does fly to Cancun direct from PHX but that leaves lugging all my gear from Terminal-3 in CUN over to Terminal-1 to catch MayAir, and they have pretty heavy restrictions on luggage weight that they sometimes wave and sometimes not. By the time you add US Air costs, to MayAir and possible luggage I can almost fly First Class through IAH or DWF.

Can't make it work no matter what, it gets very complicated with the time changes (which we don't do here).

Reactions: Jax
If it is winter time DFW is much more likely to be closed from ice storms, in summer it is thunderstorms in IAH.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

If it is winter time DFW is much more likely to be closed from ice storms, in summer it is thunderstorms in IAH.
Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Good point Dave. On 4/15 when I returned from CZM we were held up at the gate at IAH for the PHX leg and then totally backed up on the tarmac about 45 minutes because of a big storm that went through IAH. After finally getting pushed back from the gate and taxying forever the pilot came on and said we were number 15 in line for takeoff.

---------- Post added May 6th, 2012 at 02:53 PM ----------

in the past, I have often found it worthwhile to drive down to IAH to save over $250 on a round trip flight to Coz, simply because Continental/United was that much cheaper than American.

When I was browsing the other day I found UA and AA pretty close, round trip from PHX. AA was just a tad cheaper but close.

In summer months (May 31 through September, I think), Sun Country Airlines flies direct to Cozumel from DFW - but only on certain days of the week - and it is generally the most cost-effective choice. But you need to search Sun Country website, as its schedule does not show up on some of the travel search sites (like Southwest Air).

I see the Sun Country plane in CZM quite often, thought they only flew out of the Northeast. I'll have to look them up, thanks !!

I live almost equal driving distance to either, but always prefer IAH, just always seems alot less chaotic than DFW, and much easier to get around. If the money is about the same, I will always choose IAH and Continental vs. AA in DFW.

I only layover at those two airports. DFW does have Cousins BBQ which is nice.

If things go right with our city government here, you might have a third option soon. Southwest is trying to get permission to build an international facility at Houston Hobby to serve Latin American and Caribbean destinations. If so, expect cheaper fares through Houston as United is finally forced to compete with another airline on those routes. Of course United is making all kinds of dire threats to Houston about the consequences of letting Southwest build their facility, but they are falling on mostly deaf ears since United has ruined Continental AND moved the headquarters from Houston to Chicago.

Back
Top Bottom