I would like a moderator to contact me by PM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving Cayman on a regular basis since 1980 and own on island for many years so I know about changing names
I was just thinking, I always thought my 5 years there diving 2-5 x a day for 6 days a week was what helped me know the dive sites, never occurred to me that being a owner would help. I shall file that away

I've been diving Cayman on a regular basis since 1980 and own on island for many years so I know about changing names
Some instructors change site names when a customer is .. not very fun to be with. I’m sorry, I should have known that you would know about changing dive site names.

As the title says …….I have asked repeatedly but my posts have been deleted by a moderator for "not being on topic" so I guess now this is my topic.....I can not seem to be able to establish contact on my end that is why I have REPEATEDLY asked for a moderator to contact me ….I may be computer challenged
:popcorn: :gas::76feet:

Some instructors change site names when a customer is .. not very fun to be with. I’m sorry, I should have known that you would know about changing dive site names.
I liked that the poster got the site name wrong as It will keep the site more pristine by preventing the masses from finding it. There are a few sites I never talk about for that very reason

Odd that staff members want to fan the flames and issue veiled insults - I would have thought you would be above that approach - I guess not...

not a mod, but I am an adviser and SB staff. I just looked over the thread I think you are talking about and frankly don't understand why it seems you were looking for a fight then get upset when you get one. Seriously.

I honestly don't feel he was looking to argue nor fight, but merely correct some misinformation. Take a 2nd look at his initial response with LOLs.

On another note, as a former instructor in Cayman for 5 years I am laughing at you getting upset over dive site names. Other than the major ones the names change often anyhow, many names in use now were not used in the 90's when I was there and in the 90's when we talked to instructors from the 80's in Cayman they called it different as well. In fact often names change depending on the group. You would be amazed that if we go to the same site with the same group 3 days later and call it a different name the divers totally enjoy the "new" dive site. Mostly that happens when weather is an issue or schedule.

I agree site names change here with very new round of instructors and DMs coming to work on the island and putting their own spin on names. Sometimes due to incorrect information, laziness to learn, mooring at the wrong site, lack of gasoline in the tank, to appease a guest, or a hurry to get back to the dock. Unfortunately they can be guilty of same when it comes to correct names for marine life, which I find offensive as well. If I hear one more diver exit the water here and insist they saw a Cuttlefish.....or a Lemon Ray....

Misinformation abounds and quite often it comes from a local who is set on being obtuse. You mention what they've told you on a forum and you come off like a schmuck. Then you get someone trying to make an "example" of you for believing some schmuck DM who gave you the misinformation and it leads to acrimony. After all, it's embarrassing enough when you get something wrong and we don't need others trying to leverage that embarrassment for their own pleasure or other reasons. Even more importantly, we don't need to discourage people from posting wrong information. We can't correct them if we don't know what they believe to be true and the whole point of ScubaBoard is to correct such misinformation no matter what its genesis in a helpful and friendly manner.

• It's OK to correct misinformation.
    • Point it out ONCE.
    • Stop trying to make them look stupid.
    • It's not your job to embarrass anyone for being incorrect.
    • No one owes you an explanation as to why they're wrong
  • In all things, be nice.
    • Be gentle!
    • They aren't your enemy just because you disagree
    • Don't try to provoke (troll) others
    • Assume the best (not the worst)
    • Don't respond out of anger or frustration
    • If you find someone upsets you, hit the "Report" button or start a private conversation with them rather than trying to "expose" them publicly.
    • Being nice doesn't cost you a thing and will often show a huge return
    • Remember that no one is perfect, especially if they are provoked!

ScubaBoard is a place for friendly discussion, not a heated debate, not for a browbeating, and certainly not to try to embarrass someone you don't like or respect. No one has to answer your question(s) and continuing to push for an answer is rude. Yes, rude. Don't be surprised if someone responds to your rudeness with even more rudeness. Crap like this tends to escalate and the instigator almost always feels justified in their provocation.The provocateur is just as guilty for any outburst.

Stop and think about what you are posting, whether it is an OP or a response. Is it true to the best of your knowledge? Is it helpful? Is it kind? Is it positive? If you can truly answer yes, then post it. If you can't, then wait a day and erase it. I get that the sport of diving is passionate, but there's a point in which your passion needs to respect others. Have fun and post often. Post some pics whenever possible.

Yes, there are times when you simply have to point a finger at a dive op, a piece of gear or even an agency. Don't let your criticism turn into a mindless bash. Don't vilify those who disagree with your criticism either. It's OK that we have different perspectives and opinions. We can still be friendly and respectful towards each other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom