I wish Shearwater made a watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A vintage dive watch would do the trick too for that purpose.

I find that the GEO2 is a very capable recreational dive computer and a practical everyday watch while diving. It is easy to read under normal conditions. Like all other dive computers, you must devote some time to learn how to properly use it.

What are you going to do with the 2 petrels, asking for a "friend"? If selling one I am interested.
They will stay with me and my SF2 (a rebreather). :D Different tools for different kinds of diving. The Descent will be my backup to the AI Perdix for Open Circuit and I'll keep the two Petrels dedicated to my Closed Circuit diving.

A vintage dive watch would do the trick too for that purpose.
The Descent is expensive, but it's a damn fine fitness/smart watch and especially so if you swim for exercise.

I used a watch-style dive computer for a number of years, and while it was fun to be able to wear it as a watch when not diving, I got tired of having to squint to see all the information jammed on the tiny screen and having difficulty manipulating tiny buttons, especially if wearing gloves, so I bought a Shearwater. If it's true that the dive population is aging, then the trend will be toward larger screens and buttons, not smaller ones. It seems a number of people on SB are excited about the Garmin, but I think the intersection of fitness watches and dive computers will remain a tiny niche.

I got my Perdix specifically because I couldn't see my dive watch without squinting.

Give me the same size screen but on a flexible screen that wraps around the wrist so their is no bulk.

@The Chairman

You will *love* the Perdix AI for SM. I've just used mine twice in the pool the past two months for SM, and I'm in love! :D

Do you folks that have the Geo2 find it easy to read underwater?

I have an Atom, which I believe is basically the same, but with AI. I wear reading glasses and I have gauge reader lenses in my masks. BEFORE I got gauge reader lenses, I could read the Atom display just fine for the actual data (i.e. depth, NDL, tank pressure, etc.) - presuming we're talking about dives in reasonably clear water. In the local quarry with a stirred-up bottom and 1' of visibility, not so much. But, it was hard for me to make out the little labels that tell you what each piece of data is. That didn't really bother me, as I knew which number was which anyway, without needing to read the labels.

I did not find the Atom hard to learn at all. The buttons are basically Up and Down on the left side, Menu/Select on the top right and Backlight on the bottom right. I never felt any need for an online class.

I expect the Geo2 would be pretty much the same in all respects.

I suspect Garmin will be disappointed in sales and will cut back that development budget but I could be wrong. It just doesn't seem like a huge market.

My impression is that most everything about the Descent, except for the pressure transducer and some of the software is pretty much the same as their Fenix line. It doesn't seem like it will be that expensive for them to keep it going. The big question mark is AI. If they put out their own transmitter, then I think they'll fail before long. I think that will represent a much bigger investment and will increase sales very little. But, if they add the capability to use the PPS transmitter, then I think their sales will increase quite a bit. If they did that, I would buy one. A Descent with PPS AI would be the realization of the dream I had when I bought my Seabear H3. A watch-sized (reasonably close) computer that is very readable in low viz, supports multiple gases and trimix, and uses Buhlmann w/Gradient Factors. My ideal companion to my Perdix.

If that were available, I would dive that plus my Seabear for recreational dives and Descent plus Perdix for tech dives. I would appreciate the redundant tank pressure display on tech dives. On rec dives, I would prioritize having the smaller, more low-profile (i.e. not a brick on my arm) computers.

Plus, I would always rather have 2 totally different computers running the same algorithm, particularly on tech dives. Shearwater is awesome, but EVERYONE makes a mistake every now and then and you only have to look at Shearwater firmware Release Notes to see that even they do make mistakes every now and then. Having 2 identical Shearwaters means that if there is a firmware bug, you have it in both your computers. With 2 totally different computers, there is at least a chance that a bug in one will not exist in the other.

Last edited:
I see Garmin as a company that develops good products for markets that generate sales in the millions. This product seems to be one that will sell thousands or tens of thousands. They manage to continue to develop and improve their devices for cyclists but that is a MUCH bigger market. But I could be wrong.

I see Garmin as a company that develops good products for markets that generate sales in the millions. This product seems to be one that will sell thousands or tens of thousands. They manage to continue to develop and improve their devices for cyclists but that is a MUCH bigger market. But I could be wrong.

I agree. But I am notoriously bad at understanding what people want. I think Henry Ford had it right when he supposedly said people could have the Model T in any color they want so long as it's black.

I don't understand the point of "fitness watches." I don't need a battery-operated thingamajig that's going to break or become obsolete in a few years telling me when I have gotten a good workout--I KNOW when I have gotten a good workout. I have accumulated shelves full of electronic things now good only for the trash/recycler. In retrospect, what wastes of money. If I could get by just as safely and conveniently without a dive computer, watch, fitness tracker, etc., that would be the ultimate. In fact, my ultimate goal is to own less "stuff."

p.s. Get off my lawn!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom