I wish my lds sold -------

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A rental selection that mirrored what they have for sale. I wouldn't mind paying to take new gear into open water prior to purchasing.

Pete

I wish my LDS would stock what they carry.
It takes me an extra 30 minutes to an hour out of my way for me to get to a dive shop where I will actually be able to touch and buy the item that should have been on the little empty peg.

drglnc:
If you could pick one item you wish your lds sold, what would it be?
Itself to someone that was more keyed into local diving.

I wish I HAD an LDS....mine is 3 hours away. And if I did have an LDS, I would want it to stock a ton of stuff including Apeks, Dive Rite, Halcyon, Oxycheq, DSS, and all that other good but rare stuff. Also they would rent steel tanks and give you full fills every time, have an indoor heated pool where you could try stuff any time, and have prices along the lines of ScubaToys.

I'm with Aquahump.... I'd settle for a cup of coffee and a place to sit and chat-a sort of diver's community where we could chat and network and pick up a unplanned dive or two. Ideally they would combine Starbucks and the LDS. I’d never go home and they could have all my money in one fell swoop.

In my area, it seems that all the dive shops carry is what is needed to get folks certified and that's it. What I mean is if you have nothing it's a great place to go to get setup but once you've been diving for a while and you want to start tweaking your gear with better or less "mainstream" stuff you're SOL. They carry 20 different styles of masks but if you ask about a decent primary reel they look at you like you're stupid...I keep hearing "we don't stock those but I can get it for you..." no wonder people are going online for gear...you have to wait anyway and you get it cheaper.

I've been to the closest 6 dive shops in my area and seen 1 backplate at 1 shop and ZERO wings! The same for drysuits...nada. I understand that inventory is expensive to maintain but divers, especially the ones that are looking at higher end gear like bp/w or drysuits, need to see them, to touch them, to get a feel for how they will work with thier gear before a purchase. I know I would have bought a drysuit off the rack if anyone of the LDS's had had one...but they didn't.

Ok...I feel better now, sorry for the rant but it's frustrating (as mentioned several postings back) to walk into the LDS after 2-3 months and see the same exact gear in the same exact places. :banghead:

My rant is complete.

crisis_12:
I'm with Aquahump.... I'd settle for a cup of coffee and a place to sit and chat-a sort of diver's community where we could chat and network and pick up a unplanned dive or two. Ideally they would combine Starbucks and the LDS. I’d never go home and they could have all my money in one fell swoop.
Motorcycle shops clued into this years ago and it can be a goldmine for the business. Several years ago the owner of a local lds said he didn't want divers coming by just to "hang around"...very short sighted in my opinion.

crisis_12:

Boy, guess I'm lucky! Alot of us hang at the LDS, drink coffe and BS for long periods of time. Whenever someone suggests to the owner that he should stock this or that, he does, to at least try and see how it sells. Racks and shelves are almost always full other than when they get slammed with business and then they'll be restocked in a couple days. I got to admit, the BSing there does drive up their sales cause almost everyone ends up buying something or having something serviced. So I'd have to suggest the coffee and BS spot in the shop.

drglnc:
Hey all, trying to improve the gear selection at the shop i work for. If you could pick one item you wish your lds sold, what would it be?

The entire Oceanic Computer & Drysuit Lines

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom