I was wondering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wolfpack once bubbled...
What software are you using for your calculations showing the 100 foot dive on ean vs he? Just curious.

Thanks everyone for the response, the reason I ask is that I saw where MHK was stating on another news group that 30/30 would increase bottom time. It was my opinion that it did not, although I am barely versed on this subject. As I read further everyone else disagrees with mhk and says that it does not add bottom time. MHK is a gue instructor so I am not really sure where he is coming from.???

One of the challenges with this type of forum is that you can never be sure that your question is worded so that everyone understands it the way you intended and likewise with replies...

The original question was: Does it extend bottom time, and at the time I assumed the framework for that was: Does it allow me to extend my bottom time without getting into a staged decompression obligation. The answer to that -- regardless of whether a neo-Haldanian or non-Haldanian algorithm is used -- is no. Putting all the benefits of adding helium aside... because that is beyond the parameters of the question... there is another side to the coin.

The practice of adding 30% helium for a "recreational" dive -- which is one with no staged deco, one assumes -- is certainly up for debate entirely because of the transit times of He and the common practice of executing deep and short stops on ascent with trimix -- even trimix with 30% O2.

Since the average recreational diver has been clocked at ascent rates in the 120 fpm range -- and that is an average! -- trimix and recreational or dives within NDL -- seem to be mutually exclusive unless we radically change what passes for an advanced openwater program. Something I would support but which I believe at least one of the major certifying agencies will resist because it will mean failing some people.

Take care

DD

Go to www.wkpp.org and read George's informaiton on Deco. You will also notice that they never go above 1.2ppo2. Never bump up the O2, always opt for added helium. If you use some decompression programs and say you are utilizing helium, you get penalized, they are not designed that way. Don't input that nor plan it that way, it is not accurate. The Buhlmann model specifically will screw you big time. Buy the GUE decoplanner, read the manual, read George's information, and you will be on track to doing things the right way.

No one knows deco better than George, and he and his group have perfected it. Also go for standard mixes. Forget mixing all the things for specific dives, it is a waste of time, money, effort and can complicate things. Those mixes are on the site as well

Doppler once bubbled...

[snip]

Since the average recreational diver has been clocked at ascent rates in the 120 fpm range -- and that is an average! -- trimix and recreational or dives within NDL -- seem to be mutually exclusive unless we radically change what passes for an advanced openwater program. Something I would support but which I believe at least one of the major certifying agencies will resist because it will mean failing some people.

Take care

DD

That's probably why GUE Fundamentals is the prerequisite for GUE recreational Triox. It helps weed out the 120 fpm nonsense.

[disclaimer: Taking Fundies isn't enough... obviously one must exhibit good skills]

wb416 once bubbled...

That's probably why GUE Fundamentals is the prerequisite for GUE recreational Triox. It helps weed out the 120 fpm nonsense.

[disclaimer: Taking Fundies isn't enough... obviously one must exhibit good skills]

Hey: no argument here... :) The issue isn't with GUE... but one of those mainstream agencies with the big market share... stop smiling Bob!

Take care

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
Go to www.wkpp.org and read George's informaiton on Deco. You will also notice that they never go above 1.2ppo2. Never bump up the O2, always opt for added helium. If you use some decompression programs and say you are utilizing helium, you get penalized, they are not designed that way. Don't input that nor plan it that way, it is not accurate. The Buhlmann model specifically will screw you big time. Buy the GUE decoplanner, read the manual, read George's information, and you will be on track to doing things the right way.

What on earth does any of this have to do with the original question or anything else that's being discussed here? And exactly which algorithm does your version of Decoplanner use?

[/B]
No one knows deco better than George, and he and his group have perfected it. Also go for standard mixes. Forget mixing all the things for specific dives, it is a waste of time, money, effort and can complicate things. Those mixes are on the site as well [/B]

George is a terrific project manager and his team has done some kick-ass stuff, but I'd argue that Dr. Bruce Wienke knows a little bit about decompression: and who said anything about NOT using standard mixes?

Who are you? Isn't being a P.A.D.I. instructor and DIR sort of mutually exclusive?

Whoops... that just slipped out.

DD

Doppler once bubbled...

What on earth does any of this have to do with the original question or anything else that's being discussed here? And exactly which algorithm does your version of Decoplanner use?

George is a terrific project manager and his team has done some kick-ass stuff, but I'd argue that Dr. Bruce Wienke knows a little bit about decompression: and who said anything about NOT using standard mixes?

Who are you? Isn't being a P.A.D.I. instructor and DIR sort of mutually exclusive?

Whoops... that just slipped out.

DD [/B]

Come on Steve... surely you've been around long enough to recognize a sockpuppet masquerading as a troll!

Look through his history... he came on like gang busters on Day 1 and everytime he comes on board he leaves a swath of pillage and plunder wider than "Sherman's March"...

[Editor's Note: Not to be patronizing, but I realize you're not from the States, so just in case, the "march" reference is to a U.S. Union General's march through the south in the U.S. Civil War.]

wb416 once bubbled...

Come on Steve... surely you've been around long enough to recognize a sockpuppet masquerading as a troll!

Look through his history... he came on like gang busters on Day 1 and everytime he comes on board he leaves a swath of pillage and plunder wider than "Sherman's March"...

[Editor's Note: Not to be patronizing, but I realize you're not from the States, so just in case, the "march" reference is to a U.S. Union General's march through the south in the U.S. Civil War.]

Oh... have I been hooked... drat!

Bob, the Sherman references are understood, but you better watch out using that kinda language when you're down in cave country... some of those nice southern folk might mistake you for a yankee! Hang on a minute... more than half of the folks down there are yankees. YIKES!

Take care mate

Doppler:D

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom